Where's he gone?

Sponsored Links
I know, lets say lots of things like "A fusebox can contain MCB's inesteed of wire fuses as that's what it is called in most home in the UK"...
Then see what appears :) :)

Sponsored Links
I know, lets say lots of things like "A fusebox can contain MCB's inesteed of wire fuses as that's what it is called in most home in the UK"...
Then see what appears :) :)
Quite so -and exactly the same with 'light bulbs' and 'low voltage'

Mind you, it's far from only "him" that will argue about those ones, insisting that it is tens of millions of the general public who are "incorrect"!

Kind Regards, John

No different than 'plugtops'.
I don't know about that one. Some of the historical material which has been posted here might suggest that (logical or not) "plugtop" may once have been (and hence, per your view, presumably still would be) the "correct" term, with terminology in more recent times being "incorrect"?

Kind Regards, John

I don't know about that one. Some of the historical material which has been posted here might suggest that (logical or not) "plugtop" may once have been (and hence, per your view, presumably still would be) the "correct" term, with terminology in more recent times being "incorrect"?
I don't know where you got that idea. I think it a ludicrous term whatever the reason for it.

I mentioned it because I know you feel the same yet you defend similar mistakes that you consider less irritating.

I don't know where you got that idea.
I'll see if I can find the previously posted material.
I think it a ludicrous term whatever the reason for it. I mentioned it because I know you feel the same yet you defend similar mistakes that you consider less irritating.
Yes, I agree it's pretty ludicrous - just as I tend to regard it as pretty ludicrous (in terms of logic) to try to get the general public to regard 230V as 'low voltage'.

However, as I understand it (maybe I'm wrong), your criteria for regarding terminology/words as 'correct' does not depend on whether or not it is 'ludicrous' but, rather, whether or not it was regarded as 'correct' at some point in the past. Is that not correct?

Kind Regards, John

For now I feel our work is done. Why don't we all just appreciate the success and allow this forum to regain some sanity?
If the current situation is a permanent one, then I agree - and I'm attempting to find out whether that is the case

Kind Regards, John

I'll see if I can find the previously posted material.
I've seen other posts about plugtops, but my own digging is posted here:
And here:

My interest was purely academic, trying to find why "plugtop" was a thing, and why a certain poster derided anyone who used the term, with such vitriol!

I'm still looking into the archives to find something more definitive....

Although, what we forget, is that 'plugs and sockets' were very late to the electrical party.
Before them (1890's -1910's), sockets were what people put light bulbs into; in telephony there were plugs and jacks; and in portable stage lighting, there were 'plugging boxes' and 'plug tips' - with both female and male connections.
What would you call your newly invented 'plug and socket', when you want to differentiate it from the other products, but not cause confusion?

I've found an interesting online book archive here (although peruse at your own risk!) :

Last edited:
So in this case, 20220415_000328_1.jpg where the chandelier has a plug and plugs into the ceiling rose, would that be a plug bottom?

I've seen other posts about plugtops, but my own digging is posted here: ....
Yes, that was the historical material I was thinking of when I was replying to EFLI. Thanks for reminding me!

As I wrote at the time, you seem to have presented a reasonable argument for "plug cap" perhaps having been a 'correct' term in the US in the early 20th century, and I suppose it's possible that that somehow ended up as "plug top" over here. However, as I also said back then, it certainly never seemed to catch on with the UK general public, since I spent probably the first 50+ years of my life never having heard the term.

However, as we were told by more than one person in those old threads, it seems clear that some people were formally taught that "plug top" was correct, in colleges etc or apprenticeships, which supports my suspicion that the industry was (for some reason!) 'responsible' !!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back