Where's he gone?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it is of any interest, and I don't know if this progresses our understanding..... However, I have just found out that 'plug top' is the common term used in South Africa - for example:
Maybe so, but that doesn't make it any more commonly used in the UK, nor does it make it very logical in any country!

Kind Regards, John

As I recently wrote, I don't think that even "plugtop" has ever been in even remotely 'common usage' in the UK, and I'd never even heard of "plug cap" until you mentioned it.

Exactly, as I just wrote to EFLI, I think we only regard it as silly because we expect the origin/derivation to be logical, and already have an understanding of what the word "top", on its own, means. Had someone added something to "plug" which, in itself, was meaningless to us (e.g. "plugoopy" (and that term had come into common usage), we would probably not have so much of a problem with it.

Yes, as I said, I agree.

Yes, there obviously must be a reason - but, as above, I really don't think that all that many people actually do use the word (or ever have).

Although I know the concept attracts flak, in terms of 'clear and unambiguous communication' (which is what matters most to me), I think that we all know what is meant when people talk of a "plugtop", even if we regard it as a 'silly' term.

Kind Regards, John
I don't know if relevant or helps, but:
1676929909066.png

I don't know if relevant or helps, but:
View attachment 296384
That took a bit of work! But possibly a false lead - the patent is actually GB513166 and the abstract (at least) reads 'plug-in' type:

Screenshot_20230220-221454_Chrome.jpg
Good spot though, and I will keep on looking! :)

Full text available here:

Last edited:
That took a bit of work! But possibly a false lead - the patent is actually GB513166 and the abstract (at least) reads 'plug-in' type:

Good spot though, and I will keep on looking! :)
Arff... I was hoping it may have pointed somewhere.
I looked for a minute or 2 but got nowhere, thanks for persevering.

As it happens we had visitors here yesterday for lunch; brother in law (plus friend who gave him a lift), XYLs school friend (plus husband), Ex pat from Oz (plus her sister) were at school together 55 years ago. Due to problems charging phone from Oz a discussion about plugs/sockets lasted 10-15 minutes, 3 of the 6 visitors called them plug tops, BIL and Mrs Sunray had to ask what a plug top is. Except in Oz it sounds like plaarg tup:unsure:

Arff... I was hoping it may have pointed somewhere.
Thanks anyway :)

I'm now wondering whether there could be any connection with theatre lighting...

I had found an early reference to theatre lighting using 'plug-in' boxes and 'plug-tips'.

Given the evolution of theatre lighting connections and BS546, could this explain the common use of 'plug top' in South Africa (and the colonies, maybe even Australia! ;) ), where they have only just moved away from BS546?

Again, I'm probably completely wrong, but it keeps me occupied! :)

Now I'm getting boring! ;)

...but my original theory may be gaining ground!
All I can say with confidence, is that in the US, one of the forebears of the 'plug and socket' named the system as a whole, the 'plug'. The detachable part was called the 'plug cap'.

1910 GB patent GB190918228 - SAFETY ELECTRIC CONNECTOR PLUG.

The patent is for an improved design of a safety plug, that reduces the risk of shock and burns to the operator.

Interestingly to me, they use the terms 'plug cap', connected to a 'base' or 'socket', where the 'plug adaptor or plug' is the combination of the two...

Screenshot_20230221-225913_Chrome.jpg

When describing their own safety plug they use the terms 'plug top' instead of 'plug cap'...

Screenshot_20230221-230815_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230221-231036_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230221-231046_Chrome.jpg

The words 'plug cap' and 'plug cover' are then used interchangeably through the rest of the document.

This seems to be the earliest mention of 'plug top', that I can find in GB patents.

So, there could be some historical precedent for the term after all!

(Or it could just be a mistake on the OCR, who knows! ;) )

Last edited:
When I worked in the 'field' in GPO exchanges all the .mains electrical chaps referred to Plugs (sockets) and PlugTops (13A plugs).
Why - must have been a training school thing...

Greetings. It’s been quiet round here again.
No posts since end of Feb. His name doesn’t come up if you search on names…
Do you think he’s been expelled?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back