Where's the filling loop?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, new to the forum.

Just moved house and have nearly finished gutting and renovating it.

Boiler is Kettling so decided to buy some sludge remover.

It's a glow worm 24hxi, and coming from a combi house to this 'sealed system?' ( cold water tank in loft, hot water tank in eaves, boiler in kitchen) I'm struggling to make heads or tales of it.

I turned off the boiler, turned the thermostat on the radiator to 0 and cracked her open. It doesn't stop!! No loss of pressure after 10 mins open.

I decided to go have a look for the filling loop at the boiler and as far as I can see there isn't?

How do I drain the system, then repressurize?! NIGHTMARE

Any and all help or suggestions appreciated!

Dan.

Sponsored Links
Probably not a sealed pressurised system then. Google 'open vented heating systems', see if your setup matches.
If it does (and the 'cold tank' is really the f & e tank) then first job is check that tank is clean before letting all the crud in it go down into the system.

Ahhh thank you! That makes far more sense hear the tank in the loft topping up everything I have a shower, so this is why I can't depressurize. Any advice as to how to insert the sludge remover?

Sponsored Links
Check that the small tank is the f & e tank- you don't want to put chemicals in the hot water header tank.
Clean the crud out of the small tank (with boiler off, put a cork in the bottom pipe, scoop/wipe crud out, remove cork). Tie the ballcock up, chuck the stuff in the tank, give it a good stir, drain the tank volume out of the bottom radiator (try not to let the level in the tank drop below the outlet pipe), release the ballcock, do whatever the chemical instructions say in tetms of heat/pump/whatever.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back