Where's the water coming from??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
cc3de65d-5144-4b18-adf8-114a8d254367.JPG a435393d-66a2-4151-8273-b9a235ee6e8f (1).JPG
cc3de65d-5144-4b18-adf8-114a8d254367.JPG
cc3de65d-5144-4b18-adf8-114a8d254367.JPG
a435393d-66a2-4151-8273-b9a235ee6e8f (1).JPG
Hi ,
The boxed in support beam in my kitchen had water coming in. The hole in pic was made to see where exactly the water was coming from (photo attached). I've been told three different things - that it's because there is probably no tray in the cavity wall, that it's the render, that it's the fault of the roofer who put a new flat roof on the adjoining section. 3 pints has come into the kitchen over the last 3 days. Can anyone give an opinion on where they think it's coming from as I don't know if I should have render done or wall or what. Roofer says it was sealed properly and that the water is not coming from roof.
Any advice would be MUCH appreciated as I don't know what to do next and now have a hole in the kitchen....... HELP !!

Attachments

• b1ad7bf6-1064-43ec-b5f3-935a1ff6ba93.JPG
    b1ad7bf6-1064-43ec-b5f3-935a1ff6ba93.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 98
  • a79246aa-30b4-4d50-8c46-71732b159362.JPG
    a79246aa-30b4-4d50-8c46-71732b159362.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
lynnejames Hi,

Is this the first time that you've noticed water leaks in your knock-thro lintel or the extension?
Is the house rear wall solid or cavity - the pics are a bit blurred?
The roof covering at the abutment of the flat roof and the house is detailed wrong.
From what I can make out from the pics your knock-thro was a DIY job.

The stone window sill has had previous repairs - is the throating under the sill projection clear?
The dashed render doesnt look too good and is green with splash water dropping down.
Does the room above show any signs of water damage?

Why not post pics of the whole upper rear wall - and inside the house showing where the leaking is presenting?

Sponsored Links
Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I think it must be the render - I thought the render couldn't have let that much water in but maybe it can. Goodness knows when the kitchen extension was done and there was a problem with this beam before due to a leak from upstairs which has confused the whole saga. I was thinking if it was the cavity wall tray then there would be damp in more places? The rear wall is a thick stone wall up to the beam and then a cavity wall. Very old terrace house.

Is there a gutter above this window sill? Does water leak from the gutter onto the sill? It looks like rather a lot of green on the wall around that area so I can't help but think it looks like a lot of water is "arriving" there from somewhere?

I've just looked and there is a drip coming down from the guttering around the flat roof above kitchen. I still don't understand how it's getting in the kitchen though - unless it's the render or the 'tray' that someone said might be missing from the cavity wall above? Would that let a couple of pints in over heavy rain?

That wall and the render on it looks very old indeed, I doubt there ever were any cavity trays fitted but if there are you would be able to see weep holes, possibly sticking out of the render to allow the water to drain if it has soaked through the wall.
I'm not an expert but I can't help but think you may have a long term gutter leak that is saturating the wall (it is very green a streaky in that area). Think of a wall like a sponge, it will soak up an amount of water and then dry out and the weather changes, if it gets soaked too much in a local area, gravity will let the water drain downwards through the brickwork. I think you should make sure your gutter is water tight as it is an easy and relatively straightforward fix.

OP,
in pic 131 is the lintel installed at the back of the roof (under a window) - or as in pic 54 is the lintel set under the left hand side wall (which would appear to have it opening up into your neighbour's?)?

The roofing cover material seems to have been improperly installed at the abutment edges, & where it should lap down into the gutter.
My screen cant show the detail but is the roofing material stopping at the gutter edge?
google for "Flat roof edge trim".

The right hand side of the gutter where a mess of pipes and faulty repairs also looks suspicious.

The down pipe on the left of the gutter is not clearly and cleanly discharging into the gutter - maybe its the cause of ponding on the roof - & perhaps discharging water down behind the fascia.

There are other faults to be seen.

Thank you SO MUCH for all your advice.
= Oops - Isn't that the 'bell'?
= Bodgebuild - I will definitely have the gutters seen too.
= tell80 - The wall with the green - that window looks out onto the neighbours wall and yes, the pipe water pours onto the roof and collects down the other side which can't help the problem.

One guy gave me a quote of £1800 to put a tray in the cavity wall as he said it must be missing. Surely there would be damp patches in other places along the wall if that was the case? The water is coming in where the roof joins the wall above the kitchen. Right hand side of garden end of beam.

Thank you again everyone. Much to think about and lots of sensible advice! It's difficult when you're on your dod to make sense of these things!!
THANK YOU

The fall on the roof looks iffy,
But the main thing is that cavity walls would always need a tray as the cavity is for water to drop down.
The only exception is where it is fully rendered above, which clearly it isn't as a window is present.
You can try to patch it up on the outside but my guess is the water comes down from the window opening and lands on the beam and then tracks across to the point where it's coming down. It needs to be directed out over the flashing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back