Which bathroom extractor fan features?

The Soler & Palau are the best and quietest fans I have used.

Envirovent is the same group and some models are identical, but may be priced differently.

Sponsored Links
Mottie , that’s not a humidity Fan.
It absolutely, categorically is.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/SolerPalou/SLD100.pdf

"ATENTION: When the humidity rate is above the selected value, the automatic option takes precedence over the manual and the unit cannot then be switched off using a switch.
The desired humidity level is selected by means of a potentiometer “% Hr” positioned on the printed circuit board (fig.10) and accessible once the grille (1) has been removed."

Sponsored Links
Are there any humidity Fans that are kind of dual action so they are good at getting rid of the smells too? My wife will be (relieved) pleased!
A lot of information for my head to take in, that Soler & Palau Silent 100 is certainly more expensive at nearly £100 but if it does everything well and is truly quiet then I think it's worth paying - if it's allowed to live in Zone 1?

Thanks again, I hope I can find the right one. That mentioned company should change their name to Steam & Poo, it'll still be S&P :D

Edited because no longer relevant.

Last edited:
Right, I think I've got an idea on what might be best but could have a big fly in the ointment.

From what I understand, inline extractors have a much faster extraction rate therefore not needed to be powered on for so long afterwards and because they're in the loft then it should be quieter. This shouldn't be an issue for me to install.

To switch it on I'm thinking of installing an IP44 PIR sensor with timer therefore the extractor won't need one itself.

If this is feasible so far then the big fly I mentioned could be the gap between the roof membrane and the wall joist in the loft because I want to fit the external vent in the soffit but I'd need to really squeeze the duct through this gap. Would that cause major issues depending on the size of the gap?

The duct should have the same area as the fan. If you squash it through a smaller space then the fan will be trying to push air through the smaller gap, so it won’t be so efficient.

you could convert to flat duct to get through the thinner space. Use something like this

you shouldn't squeeze the duct out of shape.

However, you can buy rectangular duct, and a round-to-rectangular adaptor. Would that fit better?

edit
too slow!

Or you can core out a gable wall if it is reasonably close.

The inline fans are so much more powerful; that they are preferred if you have steamy showers, or an existing condensation problem.

I use a similar S&P fans, but without the humidstat, which I'm not keen on. IMO the lightswitch and timer are sufficient

If you want quality and low noise, I think S&P is the best and worth paying for. In the loft, mount it on a square of thick ply, padded on both sides with carpet or underlay, and screwed to the joists, to muffle noise transmisson The loft insulation also helps deaden sound.

Last edited:
The duct should have the same area as the fan. If you squash it through a smaller space then the fan will be trying to push air through the smaller gap, so it won’t be so efficient.

you could convert to flat duct to get through the thinner space. Use something like this

That's what I feared, I know I might be able to convert the flexible duct into a rigid rectangle one so it could pass through and the size will be the same but it's just the hassle of it and maybe having to convert it back once through. Could I cut into the joist a bit since it just sits on top of that wall?

***TOO SLOW TOO*** Just saw JohnD's after posting the above!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back