Which Boiler For a Large House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace an old Worchester 2+ Heatslave floor combi boiler (apparently one of the first combi boilers).

The house is an ex guesthouse on 4 levels (basement to converted attic) that used to have hot water in most rooms, but we've removed most of it now since we plan to use it for residential use only (2 adults, three kids).

When done we'll have two full bathrooms, one each on the top two floors. One with a bath, sink and toilet the other with a shower, sink and toilet.

There's also a on-suite planned on the ground floor inc. bath, shower, toilet and two sinks and toilet/sink in the basement. Kitchen will be like most kitchens :)

There are the following radiators-

Attic (4 rooms inc. bathroom) - 5
First Floor (4 rooms inc. bathroom)- 5
Ground floor (4 rooms inc. on-suite + long passageway 2 rads)- 6
Basement (4 rooms inc. toilet)- 5

So 21 rads in total.

We'll be using the house as a family home, but I'd rather take into account possible future uses for the house (we'll probably move in 5 to 10 years, so could convert back to guesthouse or other similar use in the future, like to keep my options open).

We had a British Gas quote and I wasn't convinced by the boiler model suggested. It was there highest rated combi boiler, but he said it would struggle if we used two baths/showers at the same time. Also gave a ridiculously high quote for new radiator taps (£40 each!!) I almost laughed at him when he said it's a difficult job to add new radiator taps because they have to add the PVC tape!!

Take a guess what the whole quote was for new combi boiler and 40 radiator valves (with fitting).

We've lived with a combi boiler for 5 years that can barely handle one bath so would rather purchase a boiler that can cope with two baths at once than one that will struggle.

I think a new system boiler is the way to go, my understanding is they have a small additional tank of water so they can heat more water per unit time. If I understand it correctly they work on the same basis as a combi boiler, but with storage (built in?).

So with the above in mind is a system boiler the way to go, if so any recommendations?

My plan is to buy the boiler myself and get a Corgi registered installer to fit it.

The house is over 100 years old, poorly insulated, but we are replacing a lot of ceilings and in the process insulating between floors (mostly for sound proofing, but will help with heat retention). When complete all windows will be double glazed. Not sure yet if we'll insulate the cavity walls, though the basement will have around 50mm of fibreglass insulation between the main wall and the battened plasterboard so that should help with heat retention.

Thanks

David

Sponsored Links
If the house is over 100 years old, I'd be interested to see you find a cavity wall.

I am not sure which world you live in. We charge £30 to supply and fit new Drayton TRVs but I am aware that this is not a cost effective price in view of the work involved.

If BG charge £40 each then I am surprised that they will do it so cheaply with all their overheads. Of course lockshields should be cheaper as we only charge £15 each.

Your existing boiler will give plenty of heating power. If you must replace it then I would recommend a system boiler and a nice big hot water cylinder, ideally an unvented if your water flow rate is adequate.

As far as boiler makes are concerned every installer has his favourites. I normally only repair boilers and they all go wrong so I dont have any favourite although I would suggest Biasi or Heatline at the economy end and Viessmann at the top.

Tony

JohnD said:
If the house is over 100 years old, I'd be interested to see you find a cavity wall.

I never thought to check in detail, but where I replaced a section of brickwork (about 30 bricks under a new DG window) it looked like a cavity.

I'll check it out next time I'm there.

David

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I am not sure which world you live in. We charge £30 to supply and fit new Drayton TRVs but I am aware that this is not a cost effective price in view of the work involved.

If BG charge £40 each then I am surprised that they will do it so cheaply with all their overheads. Of course lockshields should be cheaper as we only charge £15 each.

Maybe I'm underestimating the cost of a TRV (assumed under £10 each based on Screwfix prices?) so £30 for 10mins works seems high to me.

Your existing boiler will give plenty of heating power. If you must replace it then I would recommend a system boiler and a nice big hot water cylinder, ideally an unvented if your water flow rate is adequate.

The current boiler is quite old (at least 20 years) and if I recall correctly hasn't been serviced in over a decade (vaguely recall seeing late 80s on a service sticker). So really needs replacing.

As far as boiler makes are concerned every installer has his favourites. I normally only repair boilers and they all go wrong so I dont have any favourite although I would suggest Biasi or Heatline at the economy end and Viessmann at the top.

Tony

Is this the sort of boiler I should be looking for http://www.viessmann.co.uk/products/domestic/boilers/gas/vitodens333.php

Thanks for the advice.

David

diyomy said:
JohnD said:

I never thought to check in detail, but where I replaced a section of brickwork (about 30 bricks under a new DG window) it looked like a cavity.
Rat Trap Bond ;)£30 for 10 mins :LOL: .......OK you come to my house, take me in your car and have the system drained ready and the valves at the house and I`ll charge you the same as a Bus Driver in Brighton gets paid ie. £10.oo per hour :LOL: :cool: And take me home again after going to the cashpoint :LOL: I can do this cause I`m retired

You really must compare like with like!

The Drayton TRV4 are liquid filled which is better than cheap wax ones. They are one of the best on the market and our choice for a quality product and probably the ones which BG fit too! They are about £18 each in B&Q !

Screwfix are probably cheap unbranded wax types. Perhaps OK for DIY but not for professional use.

We need a quality product which is likely to be reliable and has good looks which the client will be happy to show off to his neighbours.

Tony Glazier

The Viessmann 333 is a great boiler but has been withdrawn due to a UK approvals issue. Depending on who you talk to at Viessmann it will be back in August or late 2006.

Viessmann make great boilers but the 200 and 300 series are not really a DIY fit, there are too many foibles and the instruction manuals are still very Germanic.

We fit lots of Viessmann stuff from 100 to commercial but we are often on their technical helpline!

Regards

Simon - hwch ltd

simond said:
The Viessmann 333 is a great boiler but has been withdrawn due to a UK approvals issue. Depending on who you talk to at Viessmann it will be back in August or late 2006.

That would explain why on Google I only found one place in the UK selling them in the top 50 search results. ah well :(

Viessmann make great boilers but the 200 and 300 series are not really a DIY fit, there are too many foibles and the instruction manuals are still very Germanic.

Wasn't planning on fitting myself as you have to be Corgi registered.

Out of interest what can you legally DIY regarding a new boiler, is it just the gas/elec supply that needs an installer?

We fit lots of Viessmann stuff from 100 to commercial but we are often on their technical helpline!

Regards

Simon - hwch ltd

That doesn't sound good!!

thanks again for the advice, appreciated.

David

Need to replace an old Worchester 2+ Heatslave floor combi boiler (apparently one of the first combi boilers).

The house is an ex guesthouse on 4 levels (basement to converted attic) that used to have hot water in most rooms, but we've removed most of it now since we plan to use it for residential use only (2 adults, three kids).

When done we'll have two full bathrooms, one each on the top two floors. One with a bath, sink and toilet the other with a shower, sink and toilet.

There's also a on-suite planned on the ground floor inc. bath, shower, toilet and two sinks and toilet/sink in the basement. Kitchen will be like most kitchens :)

There are the following radiators-

Attic (4 rooms inc. bathroom) - 5
First Floor (4 rooms inc. bathroom)- 5
Ground floor (4 rooms inc. on-suite + long passageway 2 rads)- 6
Basement (4 rooms inc. toilet)- 5

So 21 rads in total.

We'll be using the house as a family home, but I'd rather take into account possible future uses for the house (we'll probably move in 5 to 10 years, so could convert back to guesthouse or other similar use in the future, like to keep my options open).

We had a British Gas quote and I wasn't convinced by the boiler model suggested. It was there highest rated combi boiler, but he said it would struggle if we used two baths/showers at the same time. Also gave a ridiculously high quote for new radiator taps (£40 each!!) I almost laughed at him when he said it's a difficult job to add new radiator taps because they have to add the PVC tape!!

Take a guess what the whole quote was for new combi boiler and 40 radiator valves (with fitting).

We've lived with a combi boiler for 5 years that can barely handle one bath so would rather purchase a boiler that can cope with two baths at once than one that will struggle.

I think a new system boiler is the way to go, my understanding is they have a small additional tank of water so they can heat more water per unit time. If I understand it correctly they work on the same basis as a combi boiler, but with storage (built in?).

So with the above in mind is a system boiler the way to go, if so any recommendations?

My plan is to buy the boiler myself and get a Corgi registered installer to fit it.

The house is over 100 years old, poorly insulated, but we are replacing a lot of ceilings and in the process insulating between floors (mostly for sound proofing, but will help with heat retention). When complete all windows will be double glazed. Not sure yet if we'll insulate the cavity walls, though the basement will have around 50mm of fibreglass insulation between the main wall and the battened plasterboard so that should help with heat retention.

Thanks

David

Try checking out www.acv-uk.com have used these before and hot water production is incredable with heating outputs to suit.[/quote]

Try checking out www.acv-uk.com have used these before and hot water production is incredable with heating outputs to suit.

The ACV HeatMaster is superb. The W-Bosch 550 is great on DHW too., as is the Ethos 54C. The CH control system is lacking on the W-B though.

Weather Comp is available on the Worcesters.

Just not on their web site yet.

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:44 pm Post Subject: Which Boiler For a Large House?

Hope to fu*k he ain't still trying to decide on a boiler. :LOL: :LOL:

At least he has not had to read the troll,s garbage.
Missed the boat that time BB. :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back