Which bolt to 2x4 timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its a stud wall, the timber is actually 95mm by 45mm and that will be covered, not by plasterboard but 12mm of ply, total of 107mm bolting depth.

I will be bolting a TV bracket to the timber. My question is which length and size of bolt should I use?

And what drill bit size for the pilot holes?

Edit - to clarify TV is 27kg and mount is full motion 180 degree cantilever 10kg so bolts :)

:D

Sponsored Links
Bolt? Surely you'd use screws? If you have a plywood pattress or facing to mount to then screws into the ply would suffice. Bolts are complete overkill IMHO

Sorry didnt provide any context.

To clarify TV is 27kg will be mounted using a 10kg cantilever bracket.

This is why the need for bolts. I am thinking M8 100mm coach screw. How big does a pilot hole need to be to insert this?

Sponsored Links
Bolts are not needed so the total weight is 37 kg ? I wud put nogins in the stud work behind the bracket and use 70or 80 mm screws thrught the ply into the nogin

Bolts are not needed so the total weight is 37 kg ? I wud put nogins in the stud work behind the bracket and use 70or 80 mm screws thrught the ply into the nogin

Actually that is what I'm doing, noggin top and bottom where the bracket mount holes are and ply on top.

However the bracket is extending out the wall about 24 inches and not static weight. I've been told thats a whole load of weight that requires solid connections, hence the noggins ply and now some bolts.

I see personal i wudnt not bolt it but if it makes u feel better do it threaded bar all the way throught the ply and stud work with penny washers either side

Ply on timber will be more than man enough to hold the tv, even with bracket, Coach screws will give a secure fix.

I see personal i wudnt not bolt it but if it makes u feel better do it threaded bar all the way throught the ply and stud work with penny washers either side

The penny washer either side of the ply?

Also i'm going to use 8mm bolts/coach screws at 100mm (2 at 70mm as there will be a notch of 20mm at the back of one noggin to allow for cables to come up from back).

So 8mm bolts 100mm long, what size pilot hole 8mmx100mm same as bolt?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back