Which cable and junction box?

RMB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move a double electrical socket by 1 meter.I need to extend the cable to do this.THE MCU is fused at 32 amps but the existing cable into the socket is 2.5mm which I guess is 20amps.I will be extending using 2.5mm 27 amp cable.Should I use a 20amp or 30 amp junction box to connect the cable?

Sponsored Links
RMB said:
I need to move a double electrical socket by 1 meter.I need to extend the cable to do this.THE MCU is fused at 32 amps but the existing cable into the socket is 2.5mm which I guess is 20amps.I will be extending using 2.5mm 27 amp cable.Should I use a 20amp or 30 amp junction box to connect the cable?

MCU?

how can 2.5mm cable be rated 20A then 27A?

if the socket is on the ring main, you can use a 30A JB to make a spur for the socket

Thanks-I meant 20 amps.So a junction box rated at 30amps will not adversely affect 20amp cable leading to the socket?

Sponsored Links
doesnt sound as if you should be doing this! call in an electrician.

I think I might have to.I had hoped there might be a straight-forward way of extending the socket cable (eg with terminal/connection blocks).I am not actually adding anything - just moving the socket by 2-3 feet.

What i believe you can do, is leave the back box in place where the old socket was. terminate the cable with appropriately rated terminal block. then extend the cable, 2.5mm t+e, to the new position. cover the old back box with a blanking plate. job done. ;)

or just keep a socket in the old location and run a spur to the new one.

RMB said:
but the existing cable into the socket is 2.5mm

this indicates that there is probably only one cable. therefore a spur, therefore cannot be used for another spur. All he can do is extend the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back