Which double socket to buy

Sponsored Links
Lots...
But also lots of good ones available ie

https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-dp-switched-socket/p77115 my current! favourite

Lots...
But also lots of good ones available ie

https://www.toolstation.com/click-mode-dp-switched-socket/p77115 my current! favourite

Thanks that’s all I needed, it’s only for a bedroom cupboard

Sponsored Links
I have used LAP a lot, as yet not found a fault with them. Any socket can go faulty, but with a standard 13 amp socket can't really see how any one is better than another? OK with USB, RCD, SPD included there may be good and bad, but as standard 13 amp not really a problem one make to another.
I actually agree about LAP. When I hear people saying we should avoid LAP I always find myself wanting to ask “What’s wrong with LAP?”

Avoid BG.
Now I've heard lots of such comments and the few (and it is only a few) BG accessories I've used have been OK apart from the bathroom pull switch which seem to have a life span of 2 months... I won't mention the 20A DP switch on 10.5KW shower but then it was put in by a tenant to replace the MK 45/50A version when it failed.

Avoid any big shed own brands and LAP
and axiom
Avoid BG.
One often sees comments like these. The fact that there are usually almost as many (different) "avoid XYZ" opinions voiced as there are people offering opinions (usually with, as here, others saying that they have had no problems with XYZ) seems to suggest that, in general, there is actually very little to choose between them.,

The choice therefore may well come down essentially to that of appearance (obviously a very personal thing) as well, of course, as price.

In terms of price, as always, one would be wise to remember that expensive does not necessarily mean 'good' and cheap does not necessarily mean 'bad' - life is not that simple!!

Kind Regards, John

I have always liked Schneider's Ultimate slim range. Also never had a problem with LAP and have used them quiet a few times before.

Brands I tend to avoid personally for switches and sockets are Telco, some lower end BG stuff and Contactum.

Most important thing is to not get no-name brands of places like Amazon, eBay, Allibaba, Banggood, etc... that may not comply and meet the relevant standards such as BS 1363.

I usually use MK, I like the look of them and they have nicely aligned and large terminals.

I hear lots of good about Hager, and their light switches have a neutral dock terminal?

I had bad experience with Crabtree, the terminals were so soft. And they are ugly...!

Last edited:
Personally I use Contactum.
MK are expensive crap. But they do look good though.
Those are my solely personal opinions based on years of experience.

I have now placed my tin hat on and I have ducked below the parapet :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back