WHICH DRILL TO USE??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello all,

we wish to drill 10mm holes in concrete.
and the drill needs to be cordless..
what is the best drill to use for this?
impact?

Thanks,
Reyaaz

:?: :?: :?:

Sponsored Links
Cordless really aren't up to drilling masonry. I know most have hammer action, but you'll find it's very slow, severe on battery and drill. One or two holes no problem, but if you are drilling more than this, you'll have to hire something more suitable, like a generator!

You will find that any of the main market leaders ( DeWalt, Bosch, Makita ) all do 24 volt versions that will have no trouble doing 10mm holes in concrete but if the holes need to be deep and you plan on doing more than about 20-25 then make sure you have at least a couple of fully charged batteries on hand.Just as important will be the choice of drill bit so go for a quality brand and it is probably better to drill the hole firstly with a 5mm drill bit and then finish with the 10mm bit and keep drawing the dust out of the hole to avoid the bit overheating.

Why cordless?

A Bosch 24VRE will easily punch 10mm holes in concrete, however the battery will become depleted very quickly depending on the depth of hole and the grade of concrete.

For the price of a good 24V drill you could buy a spectacular 110V or 240V drill.

Personally I would recommend a Bosch, DeWalt, Hilti or Makita Rotary Hammer drill for your task, they are designed for this type of punishment, and drilling ont concrete is punishing on any drill.

Further, the choise of drill bit is crucial to doing this successfully.

Whicjever drill you buy, ensure it is SDS and the bit is also SDS.

Do not Buy any of the cheap bits from B&Q or other DIY outlets, find a plumbers merchants (Plumbase or similar) , Builders Merchants or Electrical Wholesaler. They will have good quality bits and they will not charge the earth for them.

What do you actually plan to fix to the concrete? The correct choice of fixing is crucial.

Sponsored Links
needs to be cordless as no power available in my garage

some bast*** broke into my garage and nicked my bike, so getting some (even more) secure locks put in.

hence have to drill into concrete floor
10mm diam holes.

i've been advised the DEWALT 24V DW005...any thoughts??

Thanks for the advice so far.

Reyaaz

:eek:

If you are only going to be drilling a couple of holes, then I suggest you HIRE a 24V Bosch.

If you are determined to buy it, then I would still go for the Bosch 24VRE, they are better than the DeWalt as I noted in my earlier post.

FWL_Engineer said:
If you are only going to be drilling a couple of holes, then I suggest you HIRE a 24V Bosch.

If you are determined to buy it, then I would still go for the Bosch 24VRE, they are better than the DeWalt as I noted in my earlier post.

How are the Bosch's better than the DeWalt?
Thanks,
Reyaaz

reyaazm said:
How are the Bosch's better than the DeWalt?
Thanks,
Reyaaz

The Bosch have more torque and a higher power output compared to the DeWalt. The second series of DeWalt is a vast improvement, but it is still lagging the Bosch, and the Bosch is cheaper too.

I have found, we have both, that the Bosch drill more and larger holes consitantly than the DeWalt. I have a personally owned Bosch 24VRE that is some 5 years old now and still going strong, it still outperforms the 18 month old DeWalt 24V.

The Only area the DeWalt steals the show from the Bosch is on the Rotary stop so it can be used a chisel, however this seriously degrades the battery and perfomance of the drill as a whole goes down if the drill is used consistantly as a chisel.

The Bosch is also smaller and lighter than the DeWalt, the case is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller and therefore easier to stow away from sticky fingers.

I am a DeWalt Fan, I make no apologies for that, but at 24V they just aren't there yet..maybe the new model that will be coming out in about 6 months will be a vast improvement and steal the 24V crown...we'll have to wait and see.

I would not like to drill concrete with a cordless as they dont have the grunt,USe electric generator to get power there and use electric drill with a masonary bit.

BR said:
Cordless really aren't up to drilling masonry. I know most have hammer action, but you'll find it's very slow, severe on battery and drill. One or two holes no problem, but if you are drilling more than this, you'll have to hire something more suitable, like a generator!

Hello??? Anybody there

The newest way to drill masonry or anything else (except glass) is with a negative angle cobalt drill.
Approx £30 a set.
There are a number of cobalt steel drills and cobalt tipped but the tougher ones are frozen to -270C which removes all impurities.
You never use hammer action with them and they cut into any material easily allowig you to use a cordless drill.

I've used negative angle steel drills for 5-6 years and they are the only ones that would drill straight through timber into masonry without changing bits.
The cobalt drills look much better on demos.

Just wondering.. Is there any such thing as a petrol driven drill. You get angle grinders, strimers, chainsaws, why not drills? Perhaps there is, but I've never seen one.

yep they have petrol driven saws and drills on the railway
for drilling rails and sleepers :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

big all

Dewy said:
There are a number of cobalt steel drills and cobalt tipped but the tougher ones are frozen to -270C which removes all impurities.

That's a bit nippy!

Thats a lot of effort to make a drill bit!

i borrowed a HILTI one a couple of months back(forgot which model-the cheaper end,still dear though)and it went through concrete like a knife to butter.i think these are the dogs love spuds and well worth the investment to anybody who uses them regular.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back