Which drill?

Sponsored Links
Buy a bosch or makita drill. Dewalt are dreadful these days.

Buy a bosch or makita drill. Dewalt are dreadful these days.

Thanks for the reply
Controversial. I've read so much positive stuff about these drills and hardly nothing negative.

Which makita alternative would you suggest

Sponsored Links
I have two Makita 8391DWPE sets, mainly cos I had one and *something* went wrong with the batteries / charger so I bought a second set and it turned out that it was the charger.

Having said that, I do love the drill. Does everything I ask of it.

£149 for the dewalt? If you're happy to spend the money (and the premium on extra batteries) then go for it.
Failing that, the 8391 is a lot of drill and battery for a ton...

Never thought buying a drill would be so complicated (o:

I've favoring the 1.5A Dewalt, as it comes with two batteries.

The two offers from ScrewFix are for the same drill (as far as I can tell) It's just the battery that is different. I figure two smaller batterys are more useful than one big one (Can charge while other is in use)

But then again the makita's meet the specs and have equally good reviews.

Depends on the use as well, run time isnt great on a 1.5ah battery and a lot of driving screws in etc could leave you battery less (while one charges)
For a home hobby drill you would be ok with the twin battery version but anything heavier consider makita or bosch blue.

Depends on the use as well, run time isnt great on a 1.5ah battery and a lot of driving screws in etc could leave you battery less (while one charges)
For a home hobby drill you would be ok with the twin battery version but anything heavier consider makita or bosch blue.

It will be used mainly for DIY but the next project is boarding the loft so quite a few screws to be done.

After years of owning drills/cordless tools, I finally settled on Panasonic cordless kit. By far the best i have used, bit pricier but worth it

I wen't through a phase of makita power tools, and they are good, but nothing beats bosch blue.

I used to buy dewalt 15 years ago, but the quality has just gone down and down and down ever since.

I wen't through a phase of makita power tools, and they are good, but nothing beats bosch blue.

I used to buy dewalt 15 years ago, but the quality has just gone down and down and down ever since.

I do like Makita, too. I'd buy Bosche Blue but. for a DIYer, spending 2/3 as much on the Makita works for me :)

My first ever cordless (ni-cad) was Makita, but this was at a time when ALL cordless tools were evolving. Very poor by todays' standards.

My next set were De-Walt (ni-cad) and were much more wieldy and more powerful, but still lousy by current standards. No more De-Walt for me, or so i thought.

Then i went around the block a couple of times and shifted to lith-ion batteries and impact. Wow.

Had a Makita, also used mates other brands etc. All ok.

I bought a Milwaukee twin set heavy duty drill/driver and an impact driver and thought this is it.

However, when my Milwaukee had to go in for new brushes....

My current bezzy set is a double act from De-Walt. One is a lightweight powerful and fast impact and t'uther is a heavy duty drill driver, more or less packaged the same as the Milwaukee set but much better.

Now, no disrespect to anyone who uses tools but on an average roof we fix between 1000 and 3000 (75mm and 100mm) screws. This means we are screwing all day for about four days solid and i can tell you this, the De-Walt performs very well. The business end gets very hot too!.

P.S. the drill driver on both sets (Milwaukee and De-Walt) has an excellent heavy duty metal chuck, which click tightens brilliantly and the drilling capabilities of both are adequate for my useage. However, i use corded drills (Bosch blue) for most of my heavier work.

I'm now looking for another De-walt impact to the same standard same batteries but without the drill/driver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back