Which fitting please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

After several failed trips to the shed, I'm at a little loss to what I need.

I am trying to first fix a new bathroom and it involves a floor mounted tap for a freestanding bath.

I would like to use push fit under the floor (my apprenticeship was in electrics) and trust push fit over my go at compression fittings.
I also need some way of capping my flexi hoses so I can test the pipework.

Please attached image of supplied hose by manufacture, that screws into the bottom of the tap fitting.

It measures approx 14mm OD at the thread.

- I would like to replace this with a longer push fit flexi hose (but JG only do up to M12?)
- I would like some way of capping at the threaded end so I can test etc.

From this measurement is it likely that it's M14 and if so am I looking at wholesaler to get the bits I need?

Tap is from Victoria Plum (seems cheapish).

Many thanks!

Attachments

• fitting.JPG
    fitting.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
What about getting 1/2inch male iron to copper and attach 15mm plastic, that way you can use the supplied flex.

I also need some way of capping my flexi hoses so I can test the pipework.
That is the tap that they screw into.

There is no device for capping the end of those, because there is no point - they can only be fitted into the tap body before the other ends are connected to the pipes.

If they don't reach the existing pipework, extend that rather than attempting to locate replacement flexibles.
They are connected to the existing pipework using items like this: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p23569 if you really must have push fit things.

Tap is from Victoria Plum (seems cheapish).
Expect it to fail within a year. Spare parts do not exist.

Sponsored Links
seems cheapish

For a very good reason.... VP stuff is utter cack.

need some way of capping my flexi hoses so I can test the pipework.

Where are your service valves? You should test to those. The thing you pictured looks like a 15mm compression to 1/2" BSP male tap connector. You could put a 1/2" plug in the end and test to there.

Unless the bit that looks like the compression end, sans nut and olive is the M thread you were talking about? Post a picture of the end of that thread so we can see it.

If that is a machine thread, then, as Flameport posted, you'll need the 1.2" male iron ready for that flexi you pictured. Put a 1/2" cap on the end of the iron for testing.

Thanks for your replies.

I imagined that once this tap is installed the pipe work becomes inaccessible.

I planned on installing flexihose to the underfloor pipe work, with the flexihose capped so I can turn the water back on to the house. (A service valve will be inaccessible so creates a possible leak point).
I was going to bring the male flexihose to just above the surface and board/tile around.
Then connect the tap to my flexihose, I can tuck this pipe work under the floor and screw the tap unit down.
That was why I was after those fittings.

I maybe missing something here though?

Thanks
Chris.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.8 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 137
I planned on installing flexihose to the underfloor pipe work, with the flexihose capped so I can turn the water back on
How are you going to screw two male threads into the tap base?

I was going to bring the male flexihose to just above the surface and board/tile around.

The female thread goes on the pipe work yes? The male thread into the base of the tap upstand?

Is there a link to these things?

Forget that... Just saw your other pictures. My first question still stands.

Nope, you can't do that Chris .... As flame mentions, if it's a floor standing monobloc then the male ends of the flexis screw into the bottom of the outlet before the tap is fitted to the floor and only then can the female end be connected to the supply. Should be in the MI ... What type flooring is it?
Test up to the ISO's that should be fitted just before the male irons that you'll use for the flexi's to connect to properly.

It's just a long monobloc usually Dan.

http://bristancollection.com/files/index/download/id/1431344305/

Thanks. I still don't understand.
When I've fitted kitchen taps the male Flexi has to fit in the tap first as you have to spin the hose.

In this instance I am fitting the flexihose male into the female flexihose that's manufactured into the stem of the tap, this has a running nut. So to fit I don't have to spin the hose, just tighten the nut.

There's little MI that is far from helpful.
Thanks.

Seems you're right Dan.

So there's 2 flexi pipes each for both hot and cold? 2 already part of the tap? Jesus...Never seen those .... That's ViccyP for ya ;) a new thing every week, that could be better thought out.
So I'd just go with the test up to the ISO. Once the tap is fitted you'll get away with checking the tap connections for leaks under standing pressure.

It's stuff line this (the product, but the op) that have pretty much stopped me fitting bathrooms. Far too stressful. Only now for a select few existing customers who I know who will but singing decent.

Friends recently did their house up and there was a while load of VP boxes lurking ominously in the spare room. I was dreading the question being asked if me whilst I was there sorting the heating system out.

Thankfully SWMBO had already foreseen this and had told them not to ask :LOL:

I did volunteer the first fix for the shower and towel rails though.

Ha! VP... First fixing and laying out a bathroom last week... Shower screen for recess... Box had label... 1100 shower screen; min/max adjustments are... "" (no data supplied)... I rang VP, for this vital info... 2 hrs later they called me back, min/max adjustments are 1040-1080mm... On a screen labelled 1100mm! :rolleyes::cautious:

Last suite I installed that the OP had bought from them had to go back 3 times, none were the same shade of white...You gotta laugh.... :ROFLMAO:

Another recent 1 where the customer bought a half pedestal when their waste comes straight out of the floor, her face was a picture when given the options :)

I have a separate agreement with customers who supply their own gear. I cannot guarantee the finish nor that everything will fit. I just keep them informed every time I hit a snag with their fittings though and I do love a challenge tho.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back