Which grass seed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at patching some dug up lawn, theres a huge range of seeds durable, family, fast grow, low light, etc, with ryegrass (avoid?) but what do i want.

Lawn isnt anything special, i just want grass on the brown bit to match. Fairly high use area, ok light, etc.

Also, if there any point in planting it now (early Decemeber) or might i as well leave it till feb?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
You could turf it now but its too late for seed wait till spring. Any type with ryegrass will do for general purpose as its more hard wearing. Dont be tempted to pick a fast establishing type as often they need cutting more often .

Ok, IM not about to turf it so will wait for spring.

Dont need fast-growing, but will look at ryegrass again, i thought it was a bit of a no-no.

Daniel

you are confusing invasive fast growing rye grasses with modern cultivated amenity varieties which are mainly dwarf perenial ryegrass types.

A good mix for a hard wearing general purpose lawn would be

Perenial ryegrass- strong creeping red fescue- browntop bent

This is a pretty common mix found in 'family' lawn seeds.

Sponsored Links
you are confusing invasive fast growing rye grasses with modern cultivated amenity varieties which are mainly dwarf perenial ryegrass types.
Ok. Thats more than likely. I have no gardening knolage to speak off, although my mother is a keen gardener, so any knowlage i have is second hand and mainly from overheard convosations!

Thanks for the advice and information.

Danel

No problem, If you have a largish area to do 100m or more try online sites like progreen, amenity land solutions, pitchcare etc as they will have a vast variety of mixes and better quality than your average garden centre.

No problem, If you have a largish area to do 100m or more try online sites like progreen, amenity land solutions, pitchcare etc as they will have a vast variety of mixes and better quality than your average garden centre.
Ok, will bear it in mind, but im only doing patching for now. Probebly not more than 2-3m^2 total.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back