Which Impact Driver?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Gonna treat myself to an impact driver, it's strictly for DIY use and I'm unlikely to ever need to screw in any more than about twenty screws or something, I've narrowed it down to either:

this - £120, 170N and has 2 x 2.0A batteries https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d...ion-xr-brushless-cordless-impact-driver/489hp

or this - £110, 180N and has 1 x 4.0A battery https://www.toolstation.com/einhell-pxc-18v-cordless-brushless-impact-driver/p88549

I'm favouring the Einhell as it's slightly more powerful and a little less.

That said if I ever did need a job where I needed to do a but more screwing (stop it) then having the Dewalt with two batteries might be advantagous as once one runs out I can stick it on charge and carry on.

Sponsored Links
I have the DeWalt and I find it fine. As it comes with a charger and two batteries, it could be cheaper in the future if you buy any further DeWalt products as they also sell them as bare units without chargers or batteries. I already had a DeWalt drill and a multi tool with two chargers and four batteries between them so that influenced my purchase and I bought the bare body version. I nearly bought a bare body DeWalt strimmer last weekend but Mrs Mottie said I had to use the edging shears!

As I don’t use them professionally, I’d never need the bigger battery which just makes them heavier and more cumbersome.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it’s only for diy use I would recommend Lidl’s Parkside one, when it come back in. I’ve had mine now for approx 4-5 years and it’s a great driver. I use mine in work, so has taken a bit of use. Sold as a bare unit with the option to choose which battery you want, or get a 2ah battery with a charger. Price wise approx £20 for the bare unit, iirc approx £30 for battery and charger.

Aldi have a Ferrex 20V impact driver available at the moment. You have to buy the battery and charger separately, but even with that it's cheaper than those the OP quoted!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I have the Dewalt 3 speed impact driver
I use the 3 setting very often as a diyer

The 3 setting highest torque I have used to remove nuts on lawnmower blade also I added a fence post to a wall and also side of house
The 2nd setting used a lot for driving screws into wood so hidden
1st setting for delicate work where I have counter sunk the wood and want to gently put the screw in

Can’t remember the model as away at the moment but the switch is on the top of the battery holder

Would never be without those setting now

I have the DeWalt, a great tool. 6" wood screws or 25mm drywall screws, does the lot. As always with battery stuff, the "brand' you want to buy into makes a difference - I have a DeWalt combi drill and consider the two a set.

its worth pointing out the 787 in the deal although it looks the same as the 3 speed electronic 887 yes its powerful and 100% up to diy the 887 is slightly greater nm[207]is about 50% more versitile in use so more care needed

Last edited:
its worth pointing out the 787 in the deal although it looks the same as the 3 speed electronic 887 yes its powerful and 100% up to diy the 887 is slightly greater nm[207]is about 50% more versitile in use so more care needed

You had me worried then, I'd told the wife that it's essential we upgrade the family impact driver but I've checked this morning and it's the 887 I have!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back