Which is correct? Is this an Americanism?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Q: "Do you have a car?"

A: "Yes, I do." or "Yes, I have"?

I think the first answer is an Americanism, but am quite prepared to be corrected.

Sponsored Links
Don't know, but if you changed it to

"Do you like Chips ?"

"Yes I do" sounds better than "Yes I like"

I think you're spot on Johnny_T (and gave me another simple 'checking' mechanisme ;))

WoodYouLike said:
I think you're spot on Johnny_T

Hold your horses, Ma'am. I'm sure notb's going to be along any minute to explain why I'm not spot on at all........... ;)

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
But 'have' and 'like' are different!
But that's got nothing to do with your question ;)
Still think Johnny_T is correct.
Change it to: Do you rent a car: Yes I do or Yes I rent.
Don't know the correct gramatical terms for the differences in these two verbs, but they are used differently (sometimes my English! :mad: )

notb665 said:

See.. :D

But (and apologies for not using the right grammar words) aren't they the same type of verb and the two types of sentence construction the same ?

To like chips
To have chips

I like chips
I have chips

Do you like chips ?
Do you have chips ?

If the question was, say 'Have you any chips ?' then I would say 'Yes, I have' is right, but 'Do you have any chips ?' then its 'Yes, I do'.

I think.

The initial question is grammatical rubbish. You 'have' women not cars.

"Do you own a car?" Yes I do.

"Do you drive a car?" Yes, I do.

johnny_t said:
notb665 said:

See.. :D

But (and apologies for not using the right grammar words) aren't they the same type of verb and the two types of sentence construction the same ?

To like chips
To have chips

I like chips
I have chips

Do you like chips ?
Do you have chips ?

If the question was, say 'Have you any chips ?' then I would say 'Yes, I have' is right, but 'Do you have any chips ?' then its 'Yes, I do'.

I think.
ffs. ITS FRIES. CHIPS are something completely different! ;)

In English English, the question would have been "Have you got a car?" to which the answer is, of course, "Yes, I have."

(or, indeed, "No, I haven't.")

The question "Do you have a car?" is an American question. You have been watching too many foreign films and picked up the argot.

ban-all-sheds said:
Q. Do you have a gun? I'm losing the will to live.

A. Yes, I bought it when you were going on about what was the nearest country and stuff.

ban-all-sheds said:
Q. Do you have a gun? I'm losing the will to live.
why's that? because some people are different? and use words differently to us? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back