Which kitchen units on a budget

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going around in circles here, so hoping for some advice on the best value low end kitchen units for my small budget.
Wickes flat pack is looking best so far, but there are so many on line companies offering units and I wonder if I would be better off with one of those.

Perhaps if you have used some of the on line companies you can comment on the service and quality of the units.

This layout gives an Idea of what I was hoping to do.

View media item 15687
Its 2800 x 3650mm at present bare room with a 1800mm window on the short side, open plan to the dining area to the left of this drawing and open to the existing kitchen at the lower end of the drawing. The only stipulations are sink and a half under the window with dishwasher under the left drainer & a tall double oven housing on the right hand end of the run of units.
A 60cm gas hob which it seemed best suited to being central on that wall with either 60-80 or 90cm hood over.
I read that you shouldnt have wall units close to the hob so set them back some and used a 90cm hood in the drawing, but I'm not sure if that will look out of scale.
I'm looking to spend around £1500 for the units, other stuff like worktops and appliances I can find later.

Sponsored Links
1/3 off cooke and lewis cabinets and doors at B&Q at the minute..

what kind of doors are we talking about?

based on the drawing provided, and priced on the IT range and beech effect doors and panels, you're talking £696 for the cabinets and doors you need..
these are fulll height doors and don't include any drawers, and does not include the doors for the full height oven housing as I don't know what height you will set it at..

wickes "daytona" is coming out at £752.. ( they don't seem to do a 800 wall unit so I put 2 x 400 )..

Hi ColJak, I think she would like a couple of drawer units, maybe one under the hob for pots and another perhaps in the 500mm unit next to that?

The double oven manual says it needs 878mm to fit and cover the top shelf edge, as for height I thought that was pretty much set by what door size is available. I was working on 722mm door below and 549mm above ish..

We would like shaker style doors, something lightish like beech as the old middle kitchen is short of natural light now it has an extension in front of it so anything to draw more light that way would be handy.

That Daytona looks ok

shaker oak?

B&Q start geting a bit priceier when you put drawers into the mix, but so will the wickes I suppose..

seems to be the same problem with the wickes as with the B&Q IT range.. they only do drawers in 500mm..

though someone did post how to make a B&Q IT 600 drawer unit by buying seperate drawer boxes and door packs..

with the 500 as a drawer unit, the wickes price is £767..

Sponsored Links
Cant see how they can justify a 500mm drawer unit for £109 inc discount.

So I have to resign to narrow drawers or go for a different supplier.

Thanks for your efforts. :)

Still not sure of that 90cm hood over a 60cm hob.

Just spoke to Wickes and just my luck they are changing the discounts from tonight, the current 30% off will be full price and of the ones being discounted tomorrow the only one I think may suit is the Memphis.

drawers is 3 sets of drawers boxes and 3 sererate fronts to make and shape.. it's all extra cost..

he's moaning about £109 for a 3 drawer unit, so he's not going to be happy paying £125.52 ( excluding VAT ) for just a full door base unit..

Took the wife to see kitchens at several outlets today and she has settled on B&Q Shaker Oak so I have attempted to price it up.

She wants more drawers than I was allowing for so the design has changed some.
Starting from top left its now provisionally this:

400mm with drawer £67.50
600mm appliance £64
600mm sink £57
600mm £57

Other wall
1000mm for corner £83
500mm £56
600mm hob+1 drawer? £78.50
800mm pan drawers £123
600mm tall d/oven unit £151

Wall (now using 60cm hood)
1000mm £77
500mm £55
space for hob
800mm £75

Not added anything yet for Worktop Pelmet/cornice or plinths
Handles I guess will be cheaper elseware?
Couldnt see if hinges came with the doors or if you had to buy them seperately?

Total so far £944 which I am liking ;)

Bugger me, our units are coming in at just under £7k, but I suppose there are 25 of them.

the hinges don't come with the doors.......

they come with the units.. :)

built in dishwasher? you may not need a unit for it.. check the specification of the unit you're buying..

sink and a half may need more than a 600 unit to sit over.. have a measure..

shaker oak..? same as me... looks good doesn't it...?

one tip...

do not get any worktops that have "gloss" in the name.. they are a pain to keep clean..

should have bought them all last month.. they were 20% off the IT range..

this month is 10% discount on everything with a card which you get if you spend over £50.. so there's £94 you're saving..

it depends on the hob, but you may have to have a false drawer under it if the oven isn't going under it..
how hot do they get and what's the minimum clearance they specify?

I've not spec'd a dishwasher yet, but was allowing for one knowing the family have it in mind. I am plumbing and wiring for one in that position.

I realise that 1.5 sink may be pushing it in 600mm but no doubt B&Q will let me know for sure when I get my design appointment.

I was told the other day that they have a 15% off everything long weekend starting 17th and 10% off all month after that if you spend more than £50 so that will come in handy.

The cheap gas hob I am looking at is 35mm clearance below so I guess thats pertty much flush with the base line of the worktop.

I bought handles already, Homebase quoted £160 for mid range handles! I got stainless rod ones for £33 the lot.

Here is the latest layout.
View media item 15759
I had forgotten to add colour panels for the ends of the wall units and wife wants some more drawers so the price has risen some to £1050.50 and still have cornices, pelmets and plinths to add.
Still thats £892 after discounts ;)

Yes was already warned about shiney worktops and anything close to black.

Looking for 22 sq mtr of floor tiles too so the 15% will maybe come in handy for that and adhesive too.

I saw from an older post that you too bought B&Q shaker oak, were you happy with the quality? Its not stocked locally to me so I have to order it.

it seems you and I are of the same mind..
I too am choosing the rod type handles.. mounted horizontal on the base units and vertical on the uppers.. handy for the oven mits next to the cooker and tea-towel next to / under the sink..

where did you get the handles as they are between £10 and £15 per pair in B&Q ( need 3 different sizes to suit units.. )

the hob does indeed fit within the thickness of the counter top, but by clearance I meant free space under it for reasons of heat and /or ventilation ( if gas etc.. )

do yourself a favour, use glue... on the back panels as well as on the dowels and joints... makes the units feel much more solid..

as of yet I only have one door, for the built in extract .. seems fairly sturdy..

the units will be white, but a tip I was given was to put some of the iron on oak effect edging strip round the front of the frame so you don't see white lines where the gaps between doors are..

with the unit under the hob, ignore the instructions...
they show the top rails in the normal position at the top.. but I'd put the back one in the alternate position at the back ( you'll see when you get the units.. extra holes with nothing to put in them.. ) .. saves having to cut most of it out...

where do you need the 22m² of floor tiles for?
I make the kitchen 11m² ( allowing a bit extra for odd cuts ), and that's if you tile under the units all the way to the wall..

I'm going for 2 different sizes of handle, 160 and 280mm got them from Toolstation with free delivery over £10.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hardware/Stainless+Handles/d170/sd2832

I think add another 70mm or so for total length as the sizes are for fix centers.

If they dont have what you need then
http://www.bullerltd.co.uk/product/...steel_effect/616f91e53091a2c73772a6be9953d5e3

View media item 15763
They have plenty of sizes, slightly more cost and a £7.50 delivery charge.

The amount of tiling is to do all the new extension floor inc under any units and also to tile the existing kitchen behind it once the new one is up and running. It will become a breakfast room and laundry area I think.

Best to get enough tiles to do all now as chances are the sheds wont have the exact same style of tile available in say 6 months when it is to be done and as the 2 rooms will become one at that time I really do want the tiling to flow through.
Size will be around 7 x 3mtr once finished.

Once I get this kitchen ordered I can finish off the first fix electrics as I will know exact sizes and placement for everything.
Then the ceiling and walls can get plasterboarded and the tiles can then get laid.
Hot and cold water supplies to go in and a gas run for the hob, wastes for sink and d/washer, then I can get some units in.

The BCO must think i'm stalling as I still have to finish the bathroom and get him back for a drains test. Going to be a busy winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back