Which LED Driver?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have pinpointed the problem with the LEDs in my dining room not working to a single faulty driver. Now I need to replace it and I can’t find the exact model. Having searched for alternatives, I’m a bit baffled by the options.

Could someone please be kind enough to post a link to what I should buy, ideally somewhere like screwfix or tool station so that I can fix the problem before the weekend’s over?

Here’s a photo of what I have.

Many thanks in advance.

E9FC71E3-EEEC-4DB5-8EDA-EF13EEE17A4E.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid your driver is relatively specific, supplying a constant current of 230mA.
Screwfix etc. hold a range of the more conventional constant voltage drivers.
Amazon may be your best bet for a quick resolution.

230mA is a rather odd current, and options will typically be direct from China items via the likes of ebay with the associated risks of receiving a pile of crap that can't be returned.

As flameport says, a rather odd current rating.
There are 250ma drivers available:
https://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/250ma-led-driver-65-10w
This has a (although the picture suggests max voltage of 20V, so 5W :confused:) lower wattage than your existing unit, so I will keep looking!
It is also expensive. It may be cheaper to replace your existing lights altogether!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Thanks very much, I can’t find anything with 230ma other than overseas. Silly question, but is there an alternative option, such as lower wattage? We hardly ever use that room, so I don’t mind if that particular LED is slightly dimmer than the others. Or do these things not work like that?

Can you show/explain your light setup?
Do you use the dimming option of the lamps?
...and no, to that RS driver, it's constant current is 2A, you would end up with some pretty toasty LEDs! :)

OK thanks, it’s six lamps, one dimmer switch. Each lamp has its own driver. I didn’t install them so I don’t know exactly how they’ve been set-up, it was only when they stopped working this week that I disconnected/reconnected them all to establish which was one was faulty.

Have you been able to test the LED with another driver to confirm if it is the driver at fault?

It might seem like a lot of effort now, but I would be tempted to replace all six lights with a GU10 downlight unit and a dimmable GU10 bulb.
Such as:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-mains-voltage-downlight-brushed-chrome/32433
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-gu10-led-light-bulb-345lm-5w-5-pack/5180v

It means any problems in the future you just change the bulb.
As they are reasonably cheap, you could change only the broken one at the moment and see how well it works?
(The choice of fitting will depend on your existing holes, and whether your ceiling space is insulated etc.)

Yes, theoretically you can use that one. Although there isn't a full datasheet available for it (the picture shows a constant voltage model).
As long as the Vmax >35V it should be able to cope with your existing light.
(But it will be dimmer than your existing bulb, and it's possible if one driver has failed, the others might be on their way out!)
Good luck :)
... Also, as the led will be driven at less than optimal current, it may misbehave when being dimmed.
But, it's probably an experiment worth trying!

Last edited:
Look on the fitting instead for a model number and make, its usually easier to get the fitting and maybe it still comes with the same driver

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back