Which lining paper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to line my lounge walls and then the lining paper will be painted. I have used B & Q's 1000 grade lining paper before but find it bubbles when painted. The bubbles do go down but never looks perfect. Is there a better lining paper to use?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you really have to line it? Plaster that's not perfect still looks better than painted wallpaper.

I'm about to line my lounge walls and then the lining paper will be painted. I have used B & Q's 1000 grade lining paper before but find it bubbles when painted. The bubbles do go down but never looks perfect. Is there a better lining paper to use?

Thanks

Ive done a lot of properties in lining paper and the results are perfect. Some people cant afford or want the mess of plastering so this is a great alternative.

I always use Dulux 1400 lining paper unless the walls arent too bad then i drop to 1000.

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC300166

Make sure you sand the walls down with a block and 80/120 sandpaper and get rid of all the dust that can sit behind the paper. Wash the walls down with a sugar soap solution afterwards and let it dry.

Use PolyCell trade paste and make sure it isnt too thick, i mix it a bit thinner which allows it to move when your hanging. I use a WallWiz tool and my brush to squeeze out any bubbles and seam roll the edges with a wooden roller.

I drop my paper vertically if its going to be painted but go across if you intend to do a feature wall with pattern paper on top. Make sure you make a nice butt joint and no overlaps which show up when its painted.

Use some caulk on a filler knife down all the joints that are visable and wipe the excess off with a cloth. Caulk all the edges to create a perfect finish.

Leave it a few days to settle then paint.

Ive done a lot of properties and Ill have to disagree with Joe here and say if its done well, a lining papered wall can look flawless and better than a plastered wall that needs attention.

The edges can bubble up when you paint so i brush in extra paste behind all the edges top and bottom when its in situe to make sure it adheres to the wall.

Hope this helps, Ive done my entire house in lining apart from the ceilings, bathroom and kitchen which i had skimmed. I can say Its a nice finish if done correctly.

I mostly use 1200 and rarely ever use 1000, when buying from the sheds stay away from their value ranges and go for branded products.

Dec

Sponsored Links
I mostly use 1200 and rarely ever use 1000, when buying from the sheds stay away from their value ranges and go for branded products.

Dec

I agree, the B&Q stuff etc isnt as good as the Dulux paper I use.

1200 and 1400 is easier to apply imo, 1000 seems to show up any imperfections in the original wall so tend to stick with the thicker grades.

Which brand do you use?

The only reason lining paper bubbles is because it's not been soaked long enough.

Thanks

Ive done a lot of properties in lining paper and the results are perfect. Some people cant afford or want the mess of plastering so this is a great alternative.

I always use Dulux 1400 lining paper unless the walls arent too bad then i drop to 1000.

http://www.duluxdecoratorcentre.co.uk/servlet/ProductHandler?code=DDC300166

Make sure you sand the walls down with a block and 80/120 sandpaper and get rid of all the dust that can sit behind the paper. Wash the walls down with a sugar soap solution afterwards and let it dry.

Use PolyCell trade paste and make sure it isnt too thick, i mix it a bit thinner which allows it to move when your hanging. I use a WallWiz tool and my brush to squeeze out any bubbles and seam roll the edges with a wooden roller.

I drop my paper vertically if its going to be painted but go across if you intend to do a feature wall with pattern paper on top. Make sure you make a nice butt joint and no overlaps which show up when its painted.

Use some caulk on a filler knife down all the joints that are visable and wipe the excess off with a cloth. Caulk all the edges to create a perfect finish.

Leave it a few days to settle then paint.

Ive done a lot of properties and Ill have to disagree with Joe here and say if its done well, a lining papered wall can look flawless and better than a plastered wall that needs attention.

The edges can bubble up when you paint so i brush in extra paste behind all the edges top and bottom when its in situe to make sure it adheres to the wall.

Hope this helps, Ive done my entire house in lining apart from the ceilings, bathroom and kitchen which i had skimmed. I can say Its a nice finish if done correctly.

Thanks, thats really helpful. I'll try the dulux paper.

Thanks again

I've never used it but there is a company called erfurt or erfart that do non woven papers. these dont expand or shrink back and the finish is apparently very good. They are wider and a bit pricy but useful i reckon to the inexperienced or amateur, wouldn't mind having a go with it myself.On saying that, i, like thedec go for 1200 paper and i get it from Brewers.

Right! back to page 5 of world war 3

Thanks, thats really helpful. I'll try the dulux paper.

Thanks again

Id go with the 1400 dulux as i find this gives the best results, its quite satisfying using it, allow it to soak for 3-5 mins then put it up. When its cut and in place pull back all the edges and run some paste on wall behind with a 2" brush, then seam roll the edges top bottom and sides. Ive had them peel up when paint hits it so i find this practice stops that.

I've never used it but there is a company called erfurt or erfart that do non woven papers. these dont expand or shrink back and the finish is apparently very good. They are wider and a bit pricy but useful i reckon to the inexperienced or amateur, wouldn't mind having a go with it myself.On saying that, i, like thedec go for 1200 paper and i get it from Brewers.

Right! back to page 5 of world war 3

It is Erfurt sometimes known as Efurt mav/Wallrock available at B&Q.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back