Which method for heating my house?

Okay, so as a last ditch attempt, I've tried an oil heater and it's just not heating the bedroom sufficiently.

What with the snow and very low temperatures, the house is really cold, other than the room with the stove.

Even with heaters, the rooms don't retain heat once the thermostat has clicked off.
I've blocked all the remaining fireplaces and checked for drafts, but can find nothing significant.
The rooms are insulated above to 150mm.

So the only other thing which may have a bearing, is that there are bare floorboards.

I <think> the bungalow is cavity wall up to waist height and then single skin.

Any further suggestions for a solution, before I give up and look for a rental?

Remember, I need a low cost solution, although I accept that it means running costs will be higher!
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
If you need the heat that badly the get a rental. If the oil filled rad keeps you warm enough when it's on then leave it on. Or get another one, or two. Add some convectors or fan heaters as has already been mentioned. Recommended loft insulation is 270mm.

I'm currently staying in and renovating a flat with no central (or other) heating so i've got no sympathy for you - buy a wooly hat and a warm jumper, have a cup of tea, grin and bear it. There is no magic solution.

How powerful a heater did you buy? Anything less than 2kW in a chilly room and you will probably be wasting your time.

I'm still not sure I understand why you're worried about keeping the house warm while you're away. If it's going to be sold for the land then what does it matter if it gets a little damp? If frozen pipes are a worry, turn of the water and drain everything down before going away for a long period of time.

If you need the heat that badly the get a rental. If the oil filled rad keeps you warm enough when it's on then leave it on. Or get another one, or two. Add some convectors or fan heaters as has already been mentioned. Recommended loft insulation is 270mm.

I'm currently staying in and renovating a flat with no central (or other) heating so i've got no sympathy for you - buy a wooly hat and a warm jumper, have a cup of tea, grin and bear it. There is no magic solution.

What do you want...a medal?
Nobody's asking for sympathy, just advice.

The difference here is that mine is a detached bungalow out in the countryside, so no ambient heat from neighbouring buildings - possibly unlike you, as there are likely occupied flats neighbouring yours.

I'm also well aware of the building regs insulation levels, but I really don't think that even doubling my insulation would make any difference, since I suspect the walls are soaking up all the heat.

The level of cold is something else.

Whereas you may be prepared to live in temperatures of less than 5-10 degrees C, I am not. A cup of tea, hat and jumper doesn't really cut it.
Amazing suggestion though - I'd never considered putting on a jumper!
Brilliant.

I'll check the local rental agency.

Sponsored Links
But this you could sell it later.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3KW-INDUSTRIA...Cooling_Air?hash=item5d274bd4dc#ht_1538wt_932

Even at a oner each I would buy two and have done with it.

Prob get half ya money back and I would keep em, if you needed them this time, then prob gonna need em again.

Hope this helps

Martin

Or better http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-IND...Cooling_Air?hash=item2ea9fb5e5d#ht_2137wt_932

Another edit, I have realised you have brought all your heaters and therefore it might be prudent to turn attention to cheap insulation - I am thinking. get some cardboard down on the bare floorboards and hang some dustsheets on the walls. You may get a good improvement, just make sure you do it safely and keep those flammable materials well away from any fan heaters you may already have.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
you could always rent a heating oil tank and get an oil fired system installed..

reclaimed rads from one of the freecycle groups or hunt round the local builders.. or even reclaim the new ones when you sell the property..

( this would add to the value of the property as the buyer may want to live in it as you do while the work starts.. )

if you are selling it soon, then move now and put it up for sale..

alternatively..

LPG bottled gas boiler..

it's second hand and you'd have to get it installed by a gas fitter but for somewhere in the region of £100 ( possibly ) then you have a boiler..

£300 worth of pipes and rads and you're away... :)

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
In this world of greenhouse gasses and wastage of fuel, why on earth do you want to heat the house while you're away? If you're worried about pipes bursting, turn off the stopcock and drain any water by opening taps.

if you go away for a fortnight and leave the heating off, you can get damp in the walls and it takes an age to get heat back into the place..
even if you only set the 'stat to 10° then it keeps the chill out of the place..

alternatively..

LPG bottled gas boiler..

it's second hand and you'd have to get it installed by a gas fitter but for somewhere in the region of £100 ( possibly ) then you have a boiler..

£300 worth of pipes and rads and you're away... :)

Now THAT is an interesting proposition. Thanks.

What do you want...a medal?

No, I just don't want to read your bleating about being too cold despite your having a wood burning stove and oil filled rad.

Nobody's asking for sympathy, just advice.

CONVECTOR, OIL FILLED, FAN HEATER

The difference here is that mine is a detached bungalow out in the countryside, so no ambient heat from neighbouring buildings - possibly unlike you, as there are likely occupied flats neighbouring yours.

Yes, there are, but I don't have a wood burning stove or oil rad or loft insulation.

I'm also well aware of the building regs insulation levels, but I really don't think that even doubling my insulation would make any difference, since I suspect the walls are soaking up all the heat.

Do you want advice or not?

The level of cold is something else.

So BUY SOME CHEAP HEATERS

Whereas you may be prepared to live in temperatures of less than 5-10 degrees C, I am not.

It's 4degC in your house? Maybe you should light the stove.

A cup of tea, hat and jumper doesn't really cut it.
Amazing suggestion though - I'd never considered putting on a jumper!
Brilliant.
No problem

I'll check the local rental agency.

if you can afford to move house and go on a skiing holiday (watch out, sometimes it gets cold, winter and all . . .) maybe you could spare £100-£200 to buy a few heaters as per the advice given more than 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: You haven't even told us how many rooms you are trying to heat and have ignored suggestions and questions about what heating you have bought.

If you can get a full central heating system supplied and installed by a registered technician for £400 :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (dream on) then go for it although I reckon it's a much bigger risk than leaving a gas bottle heater on for a week.

Personally I think it's a total waste to heat a house that is unoccupied and simply draining down water pipes will stop any damage (this is the usual method).

what makes you think that you may only have a cavity wall to waist height?
If that is the case, i doubt you will ever get the house warm in the current temperatures. The house will be leaking heat through the walls at a high rate.

consider a decent caravan in the back garden and run a decent lecky supply and water to it....
you can include it in the plot sale and advertise it as either a site office or temporary accomodation for a self builder..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back