Which method of creating a hole in a joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys and Girls,

Wonder if you can help.

I need to provide a 45mm (ish) hole in a joist. Wouldn't normally be a problem using a hole saw, however the only way of getting to the joist is through the external double skinned wall (this is due to the position of the other joists and the position of the hole.

I would appreciate your advice on which type of drill bit I should use, I was thinking of an expansive bit with 2 x extension bars that could pass through the external wall gaining access to the joist.

The alternative it to use a fostner bit but I am unsure as to whether extension bars are available for such bits, if they are would any of you be able to suggest a supplier on the net.

Hope it all makes sense,

Mark

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No access from the other side, I was hopiung there was so I could use a right angled drill adapter.

It may certainly be worth me looking at the arbor extensions, I presume you can't link 2 extensions together though?

The reason I was looking at other types of wood bit was because my hole saws (DeWalt Bi-metal) struggled with the other joists as the wood is pretty hard!

Mark

how deep is the joist ?. I beleive you should only cut/hole a joist to 1/8 of its depth otherwise you will weaken it.

WelshMan said:
how deep is the joist ?. I beleive you should only cut/hole a joist to 1/8 of its depth otherwise you will weaken it.

isnt it around 1/8th "notched" near the ends !!!!!!

and 25% neutral acsess[middle depth] near the ends!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back