Which multi-tool to get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I am after a solid multi tool for general DIY tasks (nothing professional). The following are my preferences:

- corded
- variable speed
- quick changing mechanism (no hex key)
- dust extraction adapter
- storage box to store tool, blades etc

I’m looking to spend around £70, so I’m after something solid and mid market as opposed to the cheap supermarket ones.

Sponsored Links
The bauker from toolstation works well, as does the erbauer from screwfiy

How do they compare to say a bosch, einhell or worx that can be purchased within my budget?

Only takes one turn of hex screw to change blade , provided you buy the open blades.

Sponsored Links
I found the variable speed useless.
There I saved you a lot of money already.
Then all multitools do the same thing, oscillate.
Apart from different level of noise (the erbauer is deafening), they're only as good as the blade you use.
A bit like circular saws.
A cheap one with a good blade cuts better than an expensive one with a chinese blade.

Fein, all the way.

All tools get hot and these in particular vibrate a lot (natch). Some tools can take this for an extended period, others cannot...

Nozzle

always get the tool with the 25-35 bits included, as these can add £25-35 to the starting costs

How do they compare to say a bosch, einhell or worx that can be purchased within my budget?

Worx makes the multi saw for bauker/toolstation.

Einhell really are budget and my experience einhell aren't worth considering..

My dad had a Bosch and now he has the erbauer and he prefers the erbauer.

The erbauer and bauker vibrates less and is marginally quieter than the Bosch green saw my dad had.

If Fein do one for less than £70 get the Fein

Last edited:
Interesting you say that about Einhell when their kit is almost twice the price than a toolstation/screwfix one.

There really doesn’t seem to be many decent choices within my budget other than whats already been mentioned.

As for Fein having one for under £70...maybe in a random clearance sale but don’t think I’ve ever seen it that low.

I've had an einhell mitre saw, and borrowed my mates one, and both were of shocking quality and straight cuts were all but impossible.

I'd never bother with them again, looking at the specs of their other equipment they are rarely if ever better than the own brand tooling.

I had a Worx one, didn't last long at all (probably 30 mins of use), was surprised really as there mini plunge cut circular saw was mint.

I've got a rechargeable Parkside multi tool now and it's take a lot of work with no complaints. If that packs up it will be Milwaulkee M12 cordless one for me next.

I have a Bosch multi tool that requires star lock blades. The star lock blades are less available and more expensive than the other type.

I have a Bosch multi tool that requires star lock blades. The star lock blades are less available and more expensive than the other type.

could you not get an adapter to support universal blades?

I found the variable speed useless.
There I saved you a lot of money already.
Then all multitools do the same thing, oscillate.
Apart from different level of noise (the erbauer is deafening), they're only as good as the blade you use.
A bit like circular saws.
A cheap one with a good blade cuts better than an expensive one with a chinese blade.

If you found the variable speed to be useless then perhaps either your blade or oscillating saw were not up to scratch.

Whilst it is true that they all oscillate, they don't all have the same pitch of oscillation.

I have the Fein FMM250 and the Festool Vecturo. From memory the Fein was £120, the Festool is way more expensive but a nicer machine to work with and the larger motor helps it to cut faster. Both are decent machines though.

Previously, I have only ever used the makita model that uses an allen key (previously sold at Tooltation) and the Ryobi One. The Makita is incredibly noisy and vibrates a lot. The Ryobi kept cutting out as I tried to cut through the owner's moisture resistant chipboard flooring. I had to return the following day with my own oscillating saw (and yes, the Ryobi battery was new).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back