Which multi-tool to get?

Sponsored Links
Can’t say I’ve ever heard of that brand...

I have used the Smart blades in the past.

I had no idea that they sell their own oscillating saw, the one linked to by Gonch seems to be a newer version. The older version is available for the same price at elsewhere.

Saxton used to sell their own saw as well.

The impressive thing about the Smart saw is that it has a 3 year trade(?) warranty. If I were the OP, I would consider buying it.

The impressive thing about the Smart saw is that it has a 3 year trade(?) warranty...
I'd say that a reliable indicator if whether a tool is trade quality is whether or not 110 volt versions are available - as far as I can ascertain Smart don"t do a 110 volt version - so not trade

Like you I've really only used trade tools, having had the original Fein Multimaster and an FMM250 before switching to a Makita DTM51 (cordless) and a Festool Vecturo 110 volt (actually in part on your recommendations). I've also used various of the firm's Makita and Bosch blue corded models in the past.

What I can say is that the original Fein and the cordless Makita models were/are really noisy, that a quick release (tool free) blade change is worth the extra money if youbenvisage a lot of use and that the more power you have, the better. The vibration in these tools can eventually kill them either by wrecking the switch gear or breaking internal wires (which happened to my FMM250 twice before I gave up on it - took 5 or 6 years, though). The other thing is that the Star blades being pushed by Bosch, Fein and now Festool, whilst very good (fast cutting) and stiff are expensive and those newer Star machines can't use the older style, cheaper blades, as stated above

Sponsored Links
If you want a cheapy Aldi have got them in for £20 this Thursday

They look surprisingly good for the money...pretty much all the features I was looking for and a 3 year warranty! I’ve no experience of Ferrex products before but I am hearing their multi tool is made by the same company that makes Einhell (not sure if that is a good thing or bad!)

Would these be able to take universal blades that are everywhere on ebay/amazon?

Ive found the Makita 18 volt cordless good, the latest model is compatible with the various starlock accessories. The variable speed helps when starting the cut or working with different materials.

The corded model is lighter and cheaper as there isn’t the extra cost of batteries and charger.

Blup

They look surprisingly good for the money...pretty much all the features I was looking for and a 3 year warranty! I’ve no experience of Ferrex products before but I am hearing their multi tool is made by the same company that makes Einhell (not sure if that is a good thing or bad!)

Would these be able to take universal blades that are everywhere on ebay/amazon?

I bought a Ferrex Wall chaser from them, its very well built, really solid. I bought a Multi tool from Lidl years back, its not as well made the switch is rubbish on it and its so noisy.

I have the Aldi one, cheap as chips and excellent for my diy needs.

I'd say that a reliable indicator if whether a tool is trade quality is whether or not 110 volt versions are available - as far as I can ascertain Smart don"t do a 110 volt version - so not trade

Like you I've really only used trade tools, having had the original Fein Multimaster and an FMM250 before switching to a Makita DTM51 (cordless) and a Festool Vecturo 110 volt (actually in part on your recommendations). I've also used various of the firm's Makita and Bosch blue corded models in the past.

What I can say is that the original Fein and the cordless Makita models were/are really noisy, that a quick release (tool free) blade change is worth the extra money if youbenvisage a lot of use and that the more power you have, the better. The vibration in these tools can eventually kill them either by wrecking the switch gear or breaking internal wires (which happened to my FMM250 twice before I gave up on it - took 5 or 6 years, though). The other thing is that the Star blades being pushed by Bosch, Fein and now Festool, whilst very good (fast cutting) and stiff are expensive and those newer Star machines can't use the older style, cheaper blades, as stated above

I have the first Festool oscillating saw. I purchased the Fein conversion kit which allows me to use "regular" blades. The only downside (that I can see) is that I cannot use the festool plunge attachment (because the attachment throws the "blade" forward by 15(?)mm.

I can post a link if you want- I don't know if it works with the newest generation of blades though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back