Which outside tap and how to replace?

Thanks for all the very helpful replies. We had some other work that needed doing and the local plumbers had a cancellation so have fit us in to do all the work including the tap. He's here now!

I'm not sure if he's going to put the valve inside the property or just replace with a tap with valve fitted in (I checked and that's what the previous one had). If it's regs to have it inside the property, should he automatically do it that way? If he goes to just fit a tap with valve should I ask him to not and to put the valve indoors instead, with a standard tap? I'd feel a bit awkward telling any tradesman their job, but then again I want it done right.

Likewise, should I ask him to fit the isolation valve and drain point today? Or just leave it until when we have the kitchen done, new sink, etc.?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
You can replace like for like but if it freezes it will fail again. Wait until you have a new kitchen fitted...it will be much easier to fit the double check etc inside.

Hi all

It wasn't the washer, nor the check valve apparently. He said the internal guts of the tap were knackered. He's left it here but I'm not sure how to look at the innards.

Anyhow, in the end he just replaced the tap like for like. No isolation valve on the inside. No new bracket, so it still wobbles around a lot when turned as it isn't fixed to the wall. Check valve on the tap only.

At least we've got the mains water on again though which is quite a luxury after so long without :)

I guess I can get it done properly when we get the kitchen done.

The WC has a feed to an outside tap as well. There's an isolation valve there, and it's no one of those types with a slotted screw. Will that do? It turns off the cold water tap as well but I'm not too worried about that as we don't often use the WC and when we do we can use the hot water tap instead. But is that type of isolation valve ok?

Thanks again for all the help

Sponsored Links
Any tips? And I'm a novice, so even an idea of where it needs to be undone and which washer would be great
If you cannot dismantle the tap,, no offence,,but i would have someone else change it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back