which replacement lamps for o/s Up & Down lighting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few bulbs to replace in my outside Up & Downs.
The originals were Prolite 7W GU10s but I can't find replacment CFLs anywhere to fit (they need to be max of 57mm in height).

I've found 7w LEDs short enough - but I'm not sure how much more expensive they are to run or how viable?

I'm also wondering whether I can use 9w LEDs (agan, height permitting). The max wattage marked on the fittings is 35w but as that's old school, will 7w and 9W LEDs be OK? I'd like to have something brighter than the exisitng 7w CFLs but not too expnsive as they are on a few hours a night and I have 12 units (24 lamps) in all.

Views appreciated,

Calva

Sponsored Links
led lamps if they fit will be the best option as they use very little power

OK thanks - I thought CFLs were even better but I'm happy to get LEDs for the outside lights.

Any thoughts on the 7w v 9w for a '35w' fitting? I know 9w is equivalent to 40w but is that just in terms of output? Will it be a problem in terms of heat?

Can anyone recommend short 7 or 9w LEDs?

hardly any heat from led lamps, ask if you can take one of each wattage from a wholesaler and take back the one you dont want, or B&Q they fine with taking stuff back

Sponsored Links
LEDs are better performers than CFLs as they come on staright away at pretty close to final brightness, and should last much longer, if you happen to choose the right ones.

All this talk about heating and running cost puzzles me. The wattage determines this. A 5W gets less hot and is cheaper to run than a 7W and so on.

I have no idea about your application, though the use of GU10 format in outside lighting is puzzling. But it it helps we replaced our kitchen 50W spots with a mixture of 3W and 5W leds. The final result was fine; not quite as bright but perfectly to our taste.

I would imagine that 7W will be fine to replace what you previously had.

thanks. so its sounds like 9w LED should be fine for outside.

they are definitely GU10 and they are outdoor Up & Downs (IP45 wetherproof) fitted on the garage, porch etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back