I can't find any low energy GU10s for my lights!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going crazy trying to find replacment bulbs for my up & down outside lights.

I've twice ordered what I thought were energy saving GU10s under 55mm in length only to find that they are not.

I even ordered what I thought were direct replacements for the Prolites I'm using today but they are still too long at 55mm.

the ones I have (that fit my lights) are:

Prolite 7W GU10 2700k / FLU and they just about fit in the lights so they must be about 52mm in length.

Can anyone help? Even though the lights are only 4 years old they must have been made for halogen. Does anyone know where I can get energy saving bulbs to fit (and that aren't extortionate?).

Or should I just bite the bullet and replace with halogen? I have 6 of these lights (so 12 bulbs in all) on for about 5 hours each evening. I'd really appreaciate some help with this one - I can't believe what a schlep this is!

cheers, Calva

Sponsored Links
I would personally contact Prolite directly and ask them if these are still available and if so so where you can purchase them from.
I have noticed that it seems a lot of the online retailers, seem to state that this lamp is no longer available.
But contacting Prolite should give you the answers you require.

LEDs are on par in terms of brightness now. My kitchen is lit by 7 x 3w LEDs. They light immediately, unlike GU10 CFLs. And LEDs are always the same size as their halogen counterparts.

Thanks Steve.

I'm not hung up on CFL I just want something that's cheaper than halogen and around 50mm.

Do you know if your LEDs are 50mm in length and if so, can you recommend a supplier?

Sponsored Links
Mine were from b&q, only reason I bought there was I could just buy 1 and see if it was any good. Turns out it was. They are about £15 each but that included a cheap downlight fitting too. With leds in general the more you spend the better quality you get.

thanks Chri5.

they look fine - though at 54mm IO think they still may be too long. Is GBP 8 each a fair price?

I'll also need to check the equivalent wattage as I think the Ups & Downs are max 35w.

_

PS two of these Up & Downs are fitted to the front of the garage and they act strangely. They are on a timer but its rare that all 4 bulbs come on at each period. Is this a problem with current? For example, I can come home one evneing and three bulbs are on OK. The next noght it might be two of the four that are on. All the bulbs are fine. Any ideas on how to fix - something simple for an electrician?

Regards, Calva

As with anything that sits outside and has to put up with the destructive forces of nature...

Check for water / moisture

Check for pitting of contacts

Check for mr spider or some of his friends

Check cable sheath for signs of cracking

Check along cable routes, any junction boxes that are exposed back to the fuse board.

Remember to isolate the supply and use a touch when inspecting anything that could risk contact.

As for the lamps, screw fix are another easy source. Most are about the same ££, but TLC are keenly priced, I wouldn't buy Chinese stuff via eBay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back