Which saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chaps

I'm needing to lay some solid wood flooring and as such I will need to make long straight cuts on boards a few feet long. Never seem to get a straight cut with a handsaw, what would be the best electric tool to use - a circular saw perhaps?

Also needing to do a bit of skirting - assuming mitre would be best for this?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
For skirtings a mitre saw would be the way to go, with a hand coping saw for the end scribes. To rip solid wood a portable circilar saw, preferably with a home made (or bought-in) straight line guide is probaly best.

I would recommend a plunge cut circular saw that sits on a guide rail for the long straight cuts.

eg

http://www.hsstoolshop.co.uk/plunge-saws-for-hire-5351-p.asp

You will need some kind of sacrificial material, eg off cuts or ply under the wood to be ripped so that you don't cut into the subfloor as you work (and damage either the floor or saw blade).

With most plunge cut saws on guide rails, you mark the cut points on the wood and literally drop the guide on top of it. The guides have "rubber" strips on the underside to (help to) stop them sliding. Clamping isn't normally necessary when making such shallow cuts but ensure that you apply downward pressure to the guide whilst making the cut. Oh and don't forget to set the depth of cut before using the saw (taking into account the thickness of the guide).

Although the guide rail can only make straight cuts, it is possible to make a curve using numerous short straight cuts if you need to.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back