Which side is positive and which is negative?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Further to my last post on trying to understand my system a little better, I have a question about which is the positive and which is the negative side of my system?

My System: 19 yr old Open vented fully pumped with mid position diverter valve.
Boiler: Potterton Flamingo
3 port valve
3 speed pump
6 radiators
Installation is in a bungallow with most pipework dropping from the attic.
Boiler location: Garage

The flow is as follows:

From the cistern inlet tank and open vent which are more or less together, the water flows to the pump.
Then from the pump to the diverter valve (approx 12" run)
One circuit from the diverter through the hot water cylinder
Other circuit from the diverter through all the radiators.
The returns from both circuits meet.
They return to the boiler.
From the boiler back to the pump, thus passing the cistern inlet and vent pipe approx half way between them.

Where exactly does the positive side start, and where does it finish?
Which section is the negative side if in fact there is a negative side?

Malc

Sponsored Links
Presumably before the pipe gets to the pump from the boiler you a vent and hopefully a cold fill. If you dont have your cold fill there then i assume its on the return. This can sometimes generate negative pressure, and cause air issues. I'm not sure as there is a -/+ side as such

Point of entry of coldfeed/expansion pipe is neutral point ie where the pump stops pushing and starts pulling.

circulation pumps don't pull they only push

poss is after pump round to vent pipe then neg pressure from vent to pump

Sponsored Links
Feed and expansion pipework are the neutral point (if close coupled). From there to the pump is negative and positive from the pump back the the F&E connection.

Thanks guys for your help again.

This has clarified another grey area for me.

Although I have only asked to have a couple of issues explained on this forum, I have gained a tremendous amount of understanding by reading many posts and spending much time searching for various topics.

I would just like to generalise a little in saying:

Many thanks for the time and expertise that you are willing to share with those of us who are far less knowledgeable, it is appreciated.

Malc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back