Which Species of Wood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I own a property (in England) built in 1818. One of the roofing trusses is badly rotten and has had extensive woodworm damage in the past, though it's not active, probably recently treated. However, the beam does have to come out. As the property is listed I need to make sure I replace the stretcher beam and king post with the same species of reclaimed timber.

Below are some photos, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell which species it is?

In this photo you can see where one of the stud walls has been removed, so the wood's natural colour (though a bit dusty) can be seen, with the stained colour on either side. The other photos are a better representation of colour.
DSCN2152.jpg

And below the grain can be seen a bit clearer.
DSCN2152.jpg

DSCN2154.jpg

And below the rotten areas
DSCN2166.jpg

DSCN2167.jpg

I hope someone can help? Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
Bit hard to tell without seeing the endgrain but I'd say Douglas fir, doe snot look like a hardwood

Jason

is there any oak in the vicinity?either youve got a 5hite hot camera or the flight holes look a bit like death watch beetle but more then likley its just good old cfb,but do have to agree with jason that it doesnt look like hardwood in your piccy.

As Jason says the grain is typical of an evergreen (coniferous) softwood. Looks like pine to me.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.
I don't think there is any oak in the vacinity. All the roofing timbers appear to be original and of the same type of wood.
Due to poor light I had to use the flash which makes the woodworm holes very hard to see in the photos. But there are loads of them, the largest at around 1.5-2mm

I've had a couple of people look at the job and they are saying it's pitch pine.
Does this sound likely then?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back