Hi,

running a cable to gate automation 200m from house need to supply 6amp 230v

what SWA 3 core do I require 2.5, 4 or 6
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
thats what they recomended for

http://www.theelectricgateshop.co.uk/Product-1321/

said 'In terms of cable, you will need to get 6amp 230v to the control panel, any transforming down will be done there.'

still none the wiser which cable to use - that tool is complicated - could anyone help
So they don't comply with the current Machinery Directive? Their declaration of conformity refers to the previous directive, 98/37/EC, not the current one which is 2006/42/EC. This means it cannot legally be sold within the European Economic Area.

The number of accidents at powered gates means the HSE are very stringent in enforcing the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008.

so what cable do I need?

i only want to know for the cost as I can it get it put in place ( ie trench dug) for it to be professionally installed - but this could be some time the future

oh,

did no realize - thanks

why is it illegal ( layman's terms)

also if I was to get a legal automation system that is approx 200m from house - what would you recomend SWA ?

is there any legal kits on the market you can recomend?

Why not put a duct in so you can choose later when you know what's needed?

just out of interest is there an easy way to know if the product is legal - other than asking the seller?

If you want a gate system to be installed at some later date, then install TWO ducts to the gate position, at least 63mm diameter with draw ropes inside.

One duct for power, the other for communications cables.

Due to the excessive length, two or three boxes will be required along the length of the duct, otherwise it will be impossible to draw cables in.

As you hopefully have realised, there is far more to installing gate systems than buying a kit of random parts from a website.

The number of accidents at powered gates means the HSE are very stringent in enforcing the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008.
And for the same reason I would strongly advise not doing a DIY install.

just out of interest is there an easy way to know if the product is legal - other than asking the seller?
Sorry, couldn't reply earlier.
Have a look at the "Guide to Gate Safety" on the page you linked to earlier.
There must be a Declaration of Conformity (or possibly a Declaration of Incorporation) to the Machinery Directive, 2006/42/EC, and the equipment must be CE marked.
As far as the CSA of the cable is concerned, that really needs to be decided by the person doing the installation, since he's responsible for the compliance with the Wiring Regs.

not doing a diy install

was going to possibly buy a compliant kit and get electrician to install,

but that does not restrict me from asking questions on this forum and get better informed

doing quite a bit of ground work at moment and just wanted cable in place

I could run 2 ducts with the cable in then now as I don't want to be pulling cable through at a later date - I only wanted to get idea of cable and get a cost

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back