Which System - Pros and cons

My cctv snagged the house sock thief (my eldest boy) and recorded the wife accessing her secret chocolate biscuit stash.

but on a serious point.. the security has 5 needs:
1 visible deterrent
2 alert a break in /suspicious activty
3 provides usable evidence
4 doesn't compromise security itself
5 is easy to use so it actually gets used.

IMO you need a combo of an alarm, cctv, remote alerting and some sort of off-site recording.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'm not fan of cctv in my house but outside is fine - although i have considered the pir with the cameras built in - i know Twenty Four is not a fan of wireless alarm but in my new build thats only option - i'm really not sure why new build homes don;t have Ethernet networking and some alarm wiring instead i get 2 aerial sockets and three telephone sockets :)

Sponsored Links
I know Twenty Four is not a fan of wireless alarm but in my new build thats only option - i'm really not sure why new build homes don;t have Ethernet networking and some alarm wiring instead i get 2 aerial sockets and three telephone sockets :)
A good, skilled engineer can put wires anywhere without leaving a trace but finding one is the hard part and of course you pay more. Those 2 elements alone mean most people will go wireless. In new builds, security or planning ahead isn't a priority and judging by the way most are thrown together nor is skil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back