Which tester should i use

B

BOB..DOLE

What is the easyest and cheapest tester to use when performing a landlords electic test,

Sponsored Links
Easiest and cheapest do not really go hand in hand, I'm still a fan of separate instruments (then if I break one I only have to replace that one.) I'd stick with the likes of Megger anyway. Which ones did you use in your C&G2391 course?

Spark123 said:
Easiest and cheapest do not really go hand in hand, I'm still a fan of separate instruments (then if I break one I only have to replace that one.) I'd stick with the likes of Megger anyway. Which ones did you use in your C&G2391 course?

I am currently studying 16th edition and inspection and testing i do not need part p as i will not be rectifying faults.

Hi Bob,
As far as I know the Part P regs do not have anything to do with the testing of electrical services, they are more to do with the passages of fire, sound etc, not the integrity of the circuits directly.
On the subject of test equiptment I would go for a Fluke/Robin multifunction tester personally. (the 1652 model should do all you need, check the Fluke website for details). Remember that the software for form -filling is also an extra cost when you are looking for a meter.
A circuit could be according to part P , but not reach the standards set out in the 7671 and vice versa.
Hope others will clarify this, and hope that its of some help.

Sponsored Links
A circuit could be according to part P , but not reach the standards set out in the 7671 and vice versa.

No

BS7671 is the minimum standard for electrical installations

Part P of the building regulations are to do with electical safety in domestic dwellings

I suggest you search on here for the link to the Pat P approved document

What is the easyest and cheapest tester to use when performing a landlords electic test,

I have been using Megger all in one for a year now and find it easy to use.

DESL said:

No

Part P of the building regulations are to do with electical safety in domestic dwellings

I suggest you search on here for the link to the Pat P approved document

I have been using Megger all in one for a year now and find it easy to use.

HI what model is your megger,

Jeez, Bob, I can scarcely believe you're contemplating charging people money for testing when you have yet to begin actually testing. Seriously, periodic inspection is a job for a qualified and experienced electrician.

DESL said:

No

BS7671 is one method of achieving compliance with part P, however BS7671 in itself is non-statutory.
Part P requires: "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury."
This does not rule out using other methods than BS7671 to comply with this, i.e. other EC countries wiring regulations.

dingbat said:
Jeez, Bob, I can scarcely believe you're contemplating charging people money for testing when you have yet to begin actually testing. Seriously, periodic inspection is a job for a qualified and experienced electrician.

not at all dingbat i can gain these qualifacations in 4 days, i am not doing installations just sticking the megger in and reading the test results, gonna cost me £2.500 mind you for a 20 day course with 100% pass rate garantee. peice of cake...

to do inspection & test you dont need part p

If you think that a PIR is just sticking a megger in it may come as a bit of a shock!! You will need to check with your clients insurance companies as to what level of competence they require in order to accept your PIR, it may be they require it done by a contractor who is a full member of a scheme such as the NICEIC or the ECA, these in themselves will require you to have qualifications in order to join.

Spark123 said:
If you think that a PIR is just sticking a megger in it may come as a bit of a shock!! You will need to check with your clients insurance companies as to what level of competence they require in order to accept your PIR, it may be they require it done by a contractor who is a full member of a scheme such as the NICEIC or the ECA, these in themselves will require you to have qualifications in order to join.

ok spark what do you surgest i should go for i have been told the part p is a piece of pi.ss but the testing & inspection is rock hard.

im at a total loss hear should i go for the part p as well.

BOB..DOLE said:
not at all dingbat i can gain these qualifacations in 4 days, i am not doing installations just sticking the megger in and reading the test results, gonna cost me £2.500 mind you for a 20 day course with 100% pass rate garantee. peice of cake...

to do inspection & test you dont need part p

I can't believe you think you are going to be competant to test on your own and charge people for it in 20 days.That is only what the people who are selling you the course would like you to believe and if you think its just a case of sticking a megger in then you really are naive!

Bob, inspecting & testing work you have done yourself is fairly straightforward and should be within the capability of anybody doing such work. Carrying out a Periodic Inspection on an existing installation is an entirely different matter. No matter what you believe, a qualification, even the much-lauded C&G2391 does not make you a competent tester (no matter how much it costs you). Only plenty of real experience can give you that level of competence.

But, hey, why listen to advice when you're clearly going to ignore any response that isn't what you want to hear? :rolleyes:

Bob,

I sat my 2391 exams last week and I can tell you I put about 100 hours of revision in and I still found it very very difficult and I have a HND in elecrical engineering! so I know all about studying. A 20 day course with 100% pass rate is either a total sales fraud or the C&G needs to investigate it. Think on before you waste your money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back