Which tester should i use

In the nicest possiable way bob i think your looking at this the wrong way.

I would advise going for 2381 and a part p course at least then regerstaring with one of the councils.

I can see what your trying to achive here, but rome wasnt built in a day so they say.

Theres no easy route around these things mate.

Sponsored Links
BOB..DOLE said:
Spark123 said:
If you think that a PIR is just sticking a megger in it may come as a bit of a shock!! You will need to check with your clients insurance companies as to what level of competence they require in order to accept your PIR, it may be they require it done by a contractor who is a full member of a scheme such as the NICEIC or the ECA, these in themselves will require you to have qualifications in order to join.

ok spark what do you surgest i should go for i have been told the part p is a piece of pi.ss but the testing & inspection is rock hard.

im at a total loss hear should i go for the part p as well.

You could start by asking your clients insurance company what they require. If they say you need to be a member of NICEIC/ECA etc then you need to ask them what they require. I don't know what you are getting at by part p? Part P = Building reg, nothing else. Do you mean C&G2381? This is an open book exam which only really proves you can read and follow the iee regs. I don't think the insurance companies will accept just C&G2381, but that is up to them to decide. I don't know about the C&G2391 yet, doing it in the new year.

mst said:
In the nicest possiable way bob i think your looking at this the wrong way.

I would advise going for 2381 and a part p course at least then regerstaring with one of the councils.

I can see what your trying to achive here, but rome wasnt built in a day so they say.

Theres no easy route around these things mate.

Awell known company called gas-elec have their engineers passed in 20 weeks, and they contract to reeds rains estate agents so these seem able to do it, why cant i.

20 weeks thought you said 20 days.

If its 20 weeks then you have a chance. 20 days I suppose its possible if you test all the time and you have a good understanding of BS7671 but if you havenet got your 16th edition and you dont know the first thing about testing then you aint got a hope in hell.

Get yourself a copy of Guidance note 3, you need to know all of that then read the regs and memorise the lot
Then you will have a chance.

Sorry Im not up my own arse but ask anyone who has done the course, you cant decide that "today I will become and electrical inspector" ! especially now (They have tightend it up this year to make it more difficult ) .

Sponsored Links
Its lucky for me then i have all the q & a to the exams. hoo hoo ho.

here,s a sample

1. a) i.) A 230 V single-phase circuit is protected by a 32 A gG fuse to BS 88 Part 2, the circuit being supplied by means of a 4 mm² two-core p.v.c.-insulated, armoured cable, the earth fault loop external to the circuit being 0.5 ohm.
It is proposed to use a 1.5 mm² p.v.c. insulated cable as a separate circuit protective conductor. The value of R1 + R2 for the circuit is 0.39 ohms and the value of k is 115.
Show by calculation, if the protective conductor is of adequate cross-section.
ii.) If the cross-sectional area of the circuit protective conductor is not calculated but selected from tabulated values, state the minimum acceptable value.
(6 marks)
b) i.) State ONE instance where it is permissible to increase the disconnection time of circuits supplying socket outlets to 5 s.
ii.) Data processing equipment may be protected by filter systems which produce leakage currents to earth in excess of 10 mA. List THREE ways of providing high integrity protection for such equipment.
(4 marks)
Answer 1

With respect to cables, it is invariably the minimum fault current that will result in the most onerous thermal constraint. Thus it would be prudent to consider the above R1+R2 value at operating temperature. Since the phase and cpc are separate and no information is available to let us determine individual resistance values, it might be reasonable to assume that both phase and cpc will be at 70degrees centigrade. (This is not the case as the cpc would normally be deemed to be at ambient temperature of 30 degrees centigrade.)

a) i)Thus; Zs=Ze+1.2(R1+R2) = 0.968

And If = Uoc/Zs

So If = 240/0.968 = 248A

(I used Uoc rather than Uo as it is generally accepted practice in such calculations).

From Appendix 3 for a 32A gG P2 BS88 fuse the disconnection time will be seen to be circa 0.25s

The adiabatic formula as it appears in 543-01-03 can now be used.

S ≥ √I²t/K

S ≥ √248x248x0.25/115 = 1.07

So the choice of a 1.5mm2 cpc complies with thermal constraints. However, it does not comply with the requirements of 543-03-01 which dictates minimum sizes of cpcs not incorporated in cables or not formed by conduit etc

hoho!

I hope you got the up-2-date ones tho bob

hoho :LOL:

;)

ii) 4mm² sheathed cable if it is not protected against mechanical damage.
b) Where the touch voltage is limited to 50v
ii) 1) Use a circuit protective conductor of 10mm² or above. (iirc 4mm² copper if mech. protected is OK).
2) Wire the CPC in a ring formation with the ends being terminated in separate terminals.
3) Provide an earth monitoring device.

What answers did you get bob?

You won spark123

5 points to you

and 0 points to the eager learner (me) :( :(

:LOL:

Bob :?:

ask them what their C&G centre number is ....and post it on here.

bob, i did the c and g 2381 exam back in the summer. i learnt the q and a papers parrot fashion. i got 90%. all it proves is any kok can do the exam. the 2391 is a different deal. you need to go through the motions of testing and installing over a period. get to grips with the electrical industry. if it was that easy to just pass the exams and get on with it and make 50k a year, then everyone would be doing it. i have a freind from the aircraft industry where i first started out who really feks me off. he was the one in class who always fekd around but always came top in class. he was always going to do well. he was a very fast learner. he ended up in the states working for a top computer firm earning loads. you will always get the odd person who clicks. maybe you are that 1%. maybe you are like the rest of us. bob, you need to take on board the views of many people who have posted to your topic. they have done this job for a lot longer than us newbies. you need to think of the people who call you in to do a job. the people who trust your decision. take it one step at a time. see how you get on.

mst said:
and a part p course at least then regerstaring with one of the councils.

....like this one

http://www.tradeskills4u.co.uk/index.asp?pageID=81&gclid=CJm40ojOn4kCFQFGEAodEyu-Nw

Q. 'Can I get Part P electrical installation training with your company?'

A. Yes, we train you to be a competent person for Part P Domestic Installers self-certification scheme and provide you with a recognised qualification. Like all training facilities, the Part P registration is provided by one of the five awarding bodies e.g. Napit, Niceic, Elecsa, Eca, Bsi. To use a simple analogy, we are like the driving school that teaches you to drive and gets you to a standard to be able to pass your driving test. We then take you through a series of assessments and tests, and if successful you will be awarded a Domestic Installers (part P scheme) Certificate. You can then register with one of the 5 awarding bodies mentioned above. It's as simple as that, and it's the same for every training centre in this country.

:rolleyes:

Q. Then why should I get Part P registered?

A. Well, firstly be positive, it's a very lucrative qualification to have under your belt, but it's also down to your personal goals, economics and convenience. If you plan to do only periodic installations for your self or customers, it's probably more convenient and cost effective to get building control to certify your work. But even so remember your work will have to conform to Part P regulation and BS 7671, if its not, you won't get it signed off, no building control inspector will approve an installation that doesn't conform to current regulations. So it's important to do the 5-Day Course to become a competent electrical installer.

Q. What electrical experience do I need ?

A . You need to be able to install electrical fittings and equipment proficiently and safely, for this reason we run a 2 day electrical foundation course for those with no previous experience prior to our 5 day course.

To summarise .. If you plan to do any sort of domestic electrical installations you need to receive formal training. Unless you have previous electrical installation experience you should attend the 2-day Foundation course.
If you want to be a competent person and/or Part P registered, you need to have formal training to become a competent person. Tradeskills4u provide you with that formal training, quickly, at reasonable competitive cost and we think we do it better than anyone else. Our customers constantly tell us so!

PS, I know you're keen to learn but until you know what you're talking about please try not to confuse the people that use this site for reference ;)

OK got more info all i need is my 16th edtion and 2391 and not forgetting my brain cell, dont need the
part p according to gas-elec company.

How long does it take to do a domestic property inspection and what test do you have to do.

How long it takes to do a PIR depends on a lot of factors, from the experience of the tester to the extent of the installation. I'm sorry but this question is one of those impossible to answer ones!! When you do your 2391 you will find out the tests and the correct procedure for doing them. I'd recommend you get a copy of GN3 though if you are doing the 2391. From what I hear a copy of GN38 wouldn't go amiss either.

BOB..DOLE said:
How long does it take to do a domestic property inspection and what test do you have to do.

For you, from where you're starting, I'd have to say about another two years. Honestly. I don't care how clever you are, you're a long long way from being competent - and the 2391 will only go part way to change that. I suggest you acquaint yourself fully with the contents of Regulation 16 of the EAWR 1989... and be clear about the significance of Regulation 29.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back