Which water butt?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

We need to get our guttering sorted out firstly however I'd like a get a water butt or two. Any recommendations for water butts, what I need to consider before buying, and where they should be placed? Without any DIY skills, is this something we could ask a trade to fit, and I guess I need to buy them first so that the person sorting our guttering can include these in their works?

On limited budget so recommendations for a good size and make.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
answering a different question, these butts are very heavy when full, will periodically need to be replaced; and need to be on a raised platform so that you can run water out of them with a hose, and so you can get a bucket or watering can under the tap.

so it's worth having a concrete pad, or paving slabs on a good foundation, before you get the butts.

I think I'd have it big enough for four.

Preferably have dwarf brick walls that you can lay decking boards over to stand the butts on (or as a useful garden seat). Some butts are supplied with a raised base.

My previous PVC butt cracked, possibly after hardening in the sun. My new one is a stiffer matieral, feels like it might be GRP

my local council occasionally buys a few thousand and offers them at cost to residents.

You may have a local source of plastic barrels (often square) used for import of fruit juices or other non-toxic material. These can be quite cheap as they are sold as scrap by the bottling works but I think the material is clear polythene or somehing and will not withstand sunlight.

if you have several barrels you can link them so the gutters fill the first one, and as it approaches full, a hose leads the overspill into the second barrel, and so on.

You can draw from the last barrel in the row, until (in times of drought) it is empty, then use the next one.

The first tub in the row will tend to collect leaf litter and grit, so make it easily accessible with a lid so you can scoop out rubbish.

You can use trellis or a fence panel to hide them if you find them unsightly. Protection from sunlight will probably give better lifespan

If you don't mind the look, see if you can get 2nd hand plastic drums (200-210l) or IBCs (1000l) locally.
Also second hand heating oil tanks 1200l-2500l.
Usually fairly easy to clean out with a pressure washer.

I have some drums/tanks sat on the ground with a sheet of mesh over the top. To fill the watering can/bucket, just dunk it in, very quick and no bending involved, but you have to remember to put the mesh lid back on when you're done to keep animals out.

Also got some containers that are raised up on concrete blocks, and the outlet tap is an old household tap. Normal waterbutt taps are small and don't have much flow.

And got a few tanks that are hooked up with a hose on the outlet, so you don't even have to carry the water to the plants, but you need gravity on your side.

Afternoon all,

We need to get our guttering sorted out firstly however I'd like a get a water butt or two. Any recommendations for water butts, what I need to consider before buying, and where they should be placed? Without any DIY skills, is this something we could ask a trade to fit, and I guess I need to buy them first so that the person sorting our guttering can include these in their works?

On limited budget so recommendations for a good size and make.

Many thanks.
When we moved into my house there was a water butt already in place and have been in the house 14 years now with no sign of degradation. As already mentioned you will need a stand. I think mine is about 270 litres but with the weather we have had it is almost dry now and I was considering a second.
We also had the guttering replaced and the installer refitted the existing diverter so it would be worth getting them to do it as they will just need to cut a down pipe to suit. Two minutes for them to do it.
Does your local water company offer anything? Severn Trent, where we are, offers a selection of water butts and kits (includes stand and diverter) at a bit of a discount delivered to your home.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I'll have to check the available space when we move in at the end of the month and factor in a butt when we have the guttering sorted out. We don't have a large garden at all but I'm a keen gardener with whatever space I have for veggies mainly, and with 9 or so potted David Austin roses, some of which will be transferred to the garden. So wanting to do my bit for the environment and use for the garden. We have a front porch - can I put a slimline butt off that? I'll put a larger butt around the back.

Thanks all. I'll have to check the available space when we move in at the end of the month and factor in a butt when we have the guttering sorted out. We don't have a large garden at all but I'm a keen gardener with whatever space I have for veggies mainly, and with 9 or so potted David Austin roses, some of which will be transferred to the garden. So wanting to do my bit for the environment and use for the garden. We have a front porch - can I put a slimline butt off that? I'll put a larger butt around the back.
I have seen a slimline butt on the front of a house near to me and that is fed from the main roof down pipe. Looks OK but this one is very expensive from what I have seen. The more conventional may do the job but I would not expect too much water from a porch

Harcross is the manufacturer of the butt I have in the back garden

Last edited:
If you go to
and enter your post code you may be able to save some money. Not masses but maybe £10/item.

Some councils subsidise the cost of some of these, hence the need for the post code.

Irritatingly, IMO, that site only shows the products that your council are subsidising. So if there is a more appropriate product (e.g. a slimline one, or a kit) that is not subsidised then you just won't see that.

The firm's commercial site is
and it would be worth a look there.

A lot depends on your location and amount of space you have. The slim 100L ones fill up very quickly. I wanted the largest I could get, 250L but only had a corner to place it. The square shaped ones are much better at utilizing the entire corner with no wasted space and the one I got was by Whitefurze. It's been excellent. If you're lucky Toolstation even have them at a killer price, you can pay more than double for this: https://www.toolstation.com/water-butt/p67994

I was worried at first but have found the plastic stand to be more than adequate. The trick is to make sure the foundation is completely flat and level so you don't build up stresses over time. I laid a 60x60 slab of limestone I had on MOT and a 30mm of sand and cement. Definitely done the trick, but one night of rain and it pretty much fills up. Wish I had room for 3 or 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back