Which way round to lay felt roof on my garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dumbest question ever I know, but the felt that's come with my new shed is light grey on one side and dark grey/black on the other side. Which way should face upwards please?

Sponsored Links
Update: The light grey side is rough so I will lay with it facing upwards. Also, 1 day after building shed, there are literally hundreds of tiny flies crawling all over the wood. Any idea what they are, and will they eat the wood? Thanks

Could simply be midges after the moisture in the wood. When the weather gets a bit humid we tend to get what we call 'Thunder Flies'.
They are tiny black flies which can even get through fine mesh.
Simply vacuum them up. When I vacuum them up inside my workshop I tend to spray inside the collection bag with a dose of fly killer just to make sure they die.

Sponsored Links
Not such a dumb question. this time. My pent shed came with 4 fascias to place on all 4 sides of the roof to cover where the felt overlaps. I have seen a video on youtube warning not to place a fascia on the lowest side cos it will trap rain water. Do I just do the other 3 sides, and maybe add a guttering to the low edge? If yes, i may add a small water butt if available as no room for a big one.

Yes blocking off 3 sides will prevent water running off edges you don't want them to. You can fix a treated batten or similar to the gutter edge to help deflect water into the gutter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back