Which way up to lay blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a right way up to lay blocks?
If so, why?

I was once told by a brickie of many years, that the right way is to lay 'em with the hollows upwards. And on one job, he was on, it was specified that the blocks should be laid alternately, possibly to maximise the air entrapment.

Whenever I see pros laying blocks, it's invariably hollows upwards.
Whenever I'm laying 'em I always lay em flatside upwards. If I don't, I have to fuss about balancing mortar on the thin edges, and it's, for me, a lot quicker to just lay 'em like that.

So which way up and does it matter?
I can appreciate that it's more economical on mortar to lay 'em hollows up. But for me, I probably drop as much as I use if I try to lay 'em hollows upwards.

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-4-9_21-39-19.png

Frog upwards is the correct way.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, Secures' but theother'un has noticed the difference.
My query was about blocks.
I'm aware of the reason to lay bricks frog upwards.

Same principal. Air entrapment is not a requirement for external masonry. That's what cavities and internal masonry is for.

Thanks for the info' fellas, but you don't mass fill the hollow blocks, do you? Unless you're using rebar to strengthen the whole thing., and then, don't you only mass fill the particular hollow in which you've placed rebar, not the whole block?
If you're going to mass fill the whole block, it'll take an awful lot of mortar. And you could get away with a much lighter block, just sufficient to retain the wet mortar, or even concrete.

I've rarely seen blocks with knobs on (for want of a better term).

Well, 'rarely' implies that you indeed have seen them at least a couple of times.

Is that what you really meant or are you merely using words without thinking with no foundation in fact or reason and expecting other people to decipher what you write?

On the general question, is there nothing on the internet showing how to lay the blocks which you have in mind or does it not occur to you that the building forum may be a more suitable place for your enquiry?
You have stated that you research your opinions in this way, I fail to understand why it has not been the method of choice in your building escapades.

Well, 'rarely' implies that you indeed have seen them at least a couple of times.

Is that what you really meant or are you merely using words without thinking with no foundation in fact or reason and expecting other people to decipher what you write?

On the general question, is there nothing on the internet showing how to lay the blocks which you have in mind or does it not occur to you that the building forum may be a more suitable place for your enquiry?
You have stated that you research your opinions in this way, I fail to understand why it has not been the method of choice in your building escapades.
I may have seen them, I've never used them. I can't remember exactly what they're like.

There's no need to be argumentative. It is a genuine query, but not one that is urgent or important. It's just inquisitiveness. I probably won't change the way I lay blocks, unless it's important why they should be laid hollows upwards.
It's why I didn't post in the Building Forum, 'cos it wasn't important.

I know how they should be laid, but I don't know why. I can understand why, when rebar is used with a concrete infill, but why does it matter otherwise?
All the web sites say which way to lay 'em, but not one, that I've found so far, says why, other than for filling with concrete and rebar.

I'm just interested, that's all.
And I am using the internet to find out why they should be laid hollows upwards!

Last edited:
Voids down.

The voids are for greater insulation, and save on material and weight. They are never meant for higher load than the design load or strength via the principle of filling the voids in the same way as brick frogs.

That is why these blocks have a solid base on the top for laying the mortar for the next course. :rolleyes:

Thanks, woody, that makes sense, to me anyway.
It seems the sensible thing to do, unless when intending to fill, and use rebar.

Now why the heck do all the websites show them being laid hollows upwards?

I may have seen them, I've never used them. I can't remember exactly what they're like.
images

There's no need to be argumentative.
I am trying to give you a taste of your own medicine - that is what you do.

You just won't see it
As this thread is no longer in the GD forum, I'll not be responding to provocation.
Which is a shame, it could have been fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back