Whirlpool Condenser Dryer not heating up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My tumble dryer is working - it's producing air, it's just not heating up - I've tried it both on sensor settings and timed drying but no difference on either.

Anyone any ideas please?

Sponsored Links
Prime suspect is the heating element, replacement can be bought. You will need model and part number.
Buyspares are generally really good and offer next day deliver (added cost). And do deliver next day if ordered before 8PM.

It could also be something as simple as a overheat stat. that has tripped & it would be better & cheaper if you established which. Given that you ask if it is something you could do yourself would tend to indicate that you could not. Do you know any friendly electricians?

Sponsored Links
Well I had a look and found the heating element no problem but for the life of me, I can't find the thermal limiter, so I've relented and phoned a man to come and check it :confused:

My apologies, your second post made me unsure as to how committed you were. I am fairly sure there are 3 stats on your machine, 2 built into the element assy. & one in the air duct. As Prentice boy says you would need your exact model number for parts if you cannot repair the element assy.

No worries - I'm one of these people that if you tell me how to do it, I can do it :)

The guy came out and says it's the heating element - he showed me the frazzled thermostat.

I checked on Buyspares and it's £81 for a new heating element and I can replace that myself now that I've been in and about the inside of it.

The repair guy said that Whirlpool's weren't good but I can't fault it - it's been absolutely hammered for 7 years with no problem - the belt snapped a couple of months ago and now the heating element - but hey, thats not bad - I mean how many modern day appliances last beyond their warranty?

Now my dilemma is - do I just repair it or do I buy a new tumble dryer - the repair guy was telling me to buy a Beko.

What would you do? Repair or replace? Is there anything else that could go on it? :confused:

If your drier is a built in one, or at least has its exhaust sticking through a wall, just be aware that the exhaust outlets aren't necessarily in the same position so installing a new one can be a right PITA.
Personally I'd repair, after getting rid of all of the fluff thats sure to be inside....but I wouldn't replace with a Beko either.
John :)

It's a free standing condensing dryer :)

I wouldn't have gone for a Beko either - I'm a bit dubious about them - but if somebody in the know had said they were brilliant, I'd have considered it.

I've ordered the heating element - it says it'll be here on Monday - fingers crossed cos I'm distraught without my dryer!! Hahahahahahahaha

Ahhhh, cr@p, yeah mine is there and is cheaper on that site - rats - it's this one
Buyspares do a price match promise, and is valid for 7 days of order, get in touch with them.
http://www.buyspares.co.uk/price-match-promise/help.pl

I know horse has bolted, but yes you could test the element, all that is needed would be a test meter that can read continuity. A £10 multi-meter would do this, you test between the terminal prongs, when disconnected electrically from appliance and appliance isolated from supply. An open circuit would ID an element failure/fault.

Yeah I saw they price matched so will get in touch with them.

I was going to buy a tester but when I looked at the heating element, I realised that I actually had no clue what I was doing to test it - I'd seen a video on how to test continuity on a thermostat but there's three wires going into the heating element.

And I still have no clue where this thermal limiter is - this is what it looks like

http://www.buyspares.co.uk/whirlpoo...75:492316&refine=thermostat&model_ref=3537962

I realise it's probably not essential that I know where it is - it's just bugging me LOL

The part has arrived and is now fitted - though a couple of the self tapping screws holding it in wont tighten :confused:

I've got it running to see if it's working and I've got a horrible feeling that its still not heating up.

They supplied a couple of new cables with it but I didn't replace them - mainly cos it was going to be a nightmare to get in with one of them - does that matter?

The repair guy tested the heating element and said that it was that that was the problem - what's the chances of both the heating element and the NTC thermal limiter have gone?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back