whirlpool generation 2000+ cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi my mum in laws cooker has stopped working. i took out the 30 amp fuse and it looked like it was blown so i put a new one in. still the same problem. no internal light, nothing. is there anything else i can check before she calls the man in? thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it the whole cooker circuit? IE everything on it? Or just the oven?

how did the fuse "look like it had blown"? What sort of fuse was it? Did you test it for continuity?

hi, there seems to be nothing at all, no internal light, grill or main oven. the hob is seperate. the fuse was glass but awkward to tell so i replaced it anyway. haven't a clue about how to check for continuity.(useless with that sort of thing). the new fuse is not clear so cannot tell if it might have blown once inserted. is it likely that the cooker has just had it?

If nothing works it sounds like there is a fault on the cooker circuit itself. It could be the fuse or MCB at cunsomer unit that has triped/blown but they usualy don't do that unless their is a fault especialy if it fuse.

Sponsored Links
the house is old and still has the old style 4 block pull out fuses. i didn't pull any of the fuse blocks out as i thought the cooker had it's own 30amp fuse. what could make the fuse blow in the first place (if it had)

If its that old then I doubt you should be using a high current device on it. The wiring is probably insulated with rubber and it degrades.

I think you need to get a spark in ASAP, the cooker should have a fuse at the consumer unit and one at the cooker connection point.

I am not a spark btw, but if it was me I would be calling in a spark straight away.

thanks guys, if she hasn't already called an electrician i'll pop round and pull the oven out and check for a fuse there first. if it isn't that then she'll have to get someone out. many thanks. mark

Was gonna say, it is likely plugged into a 13 amp socket with a fuse.

i took out the 30 amp fuse
A 30A glass fuse??

Are you sure??

Where was it?

the house is old and still has the old style 4 block pull out fuses. i didn't pull any of the fuse blocks out as i thought the cooker had it's own 30amp fuse.
There will still be a fuse for the cooker circuit - always will have been, as without one the circuit is hideously dangerous - the fuse is there to protect the cable, not the appliance.

hi, there seems to be nothing at all, no internal light, grill or main oven. the hob is seperate.
Ah - you don't mean cooker, do you, you mean oven....

If its that old then I doubt you should be using a high current device on it. The wiring is probably insulated with rubber and it degrades.
Probably rubber?

Wylex rewirables lived on well into the PVC age.

the cooker should have a fuse at the consumer unit and one at the cooker connection point.
¿Que?

hi all, thought i'd just let you know the outcome.... the mum in law accidently turned on the timer to automatic when cleaning the oven and so it switched everything off! :oops: i reset the timer to manual and turned the timer switch round till it clicked back on again.... ah bless her. still at least she's happy now. thanks again for all your replys. mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back