Whirlpool Oven and Hob on 13amp sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be really grateful if somebody could just reassure me that what Ikea are telling me is correct...

They provide Ovens and Hobs with 13 amp plugs ready for connection to a standard 13 amp socket. It may be a stupid question...but is it ok to just plug them into a double socket?

It just seems to me that an oven and hob would normally require much heftier wiring???

Sponsored Links
depends on its rating. the oven i would say yes, hob no (unless its gas, and the electric is for ignition)

Hi Breezer

Thanks for the quick response.

The hob is electric. The four cooking zones are 1.0,1.5,2.0 and 1.0 kW. So would I be right in thinking the combined power requirement would be too much for a 13 amp socket regardless of what Ikea are saying?

if all rings are on at the same time you would be right, however diversity must be taken into consideration (not all rings on at same time)

I would err on the side of caution, and installa dedicated supply.

it may also be a "feature" that all rings can not come on at the same time. have yo got the cooker yet? or can you "have a sneaky look" at instructions?

Sponsored Links
I haven't got it yet...but could probably get hold of the instructions...i'll be back...

personally i would steer well clear of such a hob
but maybe thats just me ;)

also remember that double sockets are only meant to supply 13A total

Thanks guys.

Decided to bin the idea of the Ikea hob and get a "proper" one. From what I have seen on other threads I take it I can just connect the hob into my existing cooker control unit (on its own 32a radial circuit) and then connect the oven (assuming it will be 13amp) via a fused connector switch from the same control unit?

zunni404 said:
Hi Breezer

Thanks for the quick response.

The hob is electric. The four cooking zones are 1.0,1.5,2.0 and 1.0 kW. So would I be right in thinking the combined power requirement would be too much for a 13 amp socket regardless of what Ikea are saying?

The most a 13amp socket can supply is 2.99kW. So, like has been said, you wouldn't be able to have all rings on at once. In fact if you look at it, using the 2.0kW hob on full would stop you using any of the other rings on full too.

Are you sure it has a 13A plug on it? Gas hobs come with a 13A plug for the ignition. Full-size electric hobs, as far as I know, are always "hard wired" into their own circuit.

Thanks anyway Adam.

Yes, according to Ikea's customer support team all of their hobs are supplied with a 13amp plug. Scary if it's true.

But even if you did have plugs on both, I would not put them both into a double socket, which was the original question. We're back to a socket being 13A max whether it is a double or single. Bloody BSi!

securespark said:
But even if you did have plugs on both, I would not put them both into a double socket, which was the original question. We're back to a socket being 13A max whether it is a double or single. b****y BSi!

Not true, each outlet of a dual socket outlet is rated to carry 13A each. (This excludes 3 gang adapters which are fitted with a 13A fuse and obviously have a maximum 13A shared rating.)

Sorry Ian, but securespark is correct. This subject has been explored at length and has included telephone calls to manufacturers. Bizarrely, the total rating of a standard domestic socket outlet, single, double, triple, octuple, whatever... is 13A. That's it... end of story... finito... nothing to see here, please move along.

Ian

Where did you get that from?

I don't know any manufacturer that makes a BS1363 double socket that will carry 26A.

Let me know who does and I'll buy some!

Dingbat

Bingo! How did we manage that?

We should enter the Greek Olympics with synchronised forum posting....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back