Whistling TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm sure this has been posted before by other people but my search keeps timing out.

I have TRV's an all bar 1 rad in my 1930's terrace. ( 7 with). The one in
the front room has recently started whistling when the heating is on, although it is not everytime and if I turn it down a bit it stops.

The TRV's are (I think) Drayton TR4 valves and were only fitted in Oct last year. As far as I can tell they are all on the flow to the Rad.

Any ideas as to why this may have started ? is something getting stuck ?Does this do any harm or is it just an annoying noise (don't like the tune it is whistling) and any ideas how to cure it.

I did have one of the valves do this a couple of months ago but that seems to have cured itself

cheers guys

Sponsored Links
even though it is only 3 months old.

It only seems to do it when weather is really cold and heating on for more
during the day.

set it to the next higher number on the dial

Sponsored Links
bung the system, and change like for like. Get refunded fo a faulty valve and all you have done is wasted half an hour of your time for a noise free working TRV.

David

Spoke to guy who fitted the valves and he suggested

1) Turn up to next number (as Nige F suggested) and then back down to
desired setting or
2) Pump speed may be too fast.

What speed should pump be running at. I have a Potterton Suprima 40l supplying 8 rads, 7 with TRV 1 without.

Thx

Lowest speed commensurate with adequate circulation to the farthest reaches of the heating circuit :rolleyes: Start @ No. 2

Just turn down the lockshield valve (the one the other end) a bit. Try it just one turn open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back