White marks on bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Could anyone tell me what would cause these white spots on the bricks?

Any advice how to get the bricks back to normal?
It appears to be on majority of the wall

The room above is a stand up shower, basin and toilet

And down stairs is a toilet and basin

Attachments

• IMG_20190531_161417.jpg
    IMG_20190531_161417.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_20190531_161600.jpg
    IMG_20190531_161600.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 391
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
We've just purchased the house, spoke to the neighbour who said its been like that for many years!
When it was built, the builders either let the bricks which they built that section of gable from or the insulation inside it get soaked and when it dried off, that's the result.

Poor site management and quality control, but they will tell you "it's natural, it will go ..... eventually". The only positive is that it's unsightly but not detrimental. Nothing will make it go either, so don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

When it was built, the builders either let the bricks which they built that section of gable from or the insulation inside it get soaked and when it dried off, that's the result.

Poor site management and quality control, but they will tell you "it's natural, it will go ..... eventually". The only positive is that it's unsightly but not detrimental. Nothing will make it go either, so don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise.

"the builders either let the bricks"??

Unsure as to when it was built, so no chemical cleaner will remove it?

You can brush it off, but it'll come back. As said , probably soaking wet bricks, it will go eventually, but eventually could be a long time. Again as said not structurally detrimental, just unsightly.

You can brush it off, but it'll come back. As said , probably soaking wet bricks, it will go eventually, but eventually could be a long time. Again as said not structurally detrimental, just unsightly.

I'll give it a go with some chemical cleaner

Thanks all

"Can anybody tell me how to get rid of these white spots?"

"They will go eventually"

"Been like it for ages though"

"Eventually is a long time, nothing you can do with them, don't believe anyone who tells you otherwise"

"Okay thanks, so no chemical cleaner then?"

"No"

"Okay thanks, I'll try a chemical cleaner then."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back