White Rodgers gas valve - worth buying on eBay?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Potterton Netaheat Electronic 10/16 (the 'Widowmaker'!). It is now 23 years old, but save for two fan replacements seems to be fine. I am aware the gas valve is now obsolete and unobtainable new. However secondhand ones regularly come up on eBay and sell for about £120.

Should I buy one as an insurance, it seems rather a lot of money for something I may never need? ie in your experience how reliable are they, how many boilers have you replaced as a result of the valve failing versus the client just wanting a fancy new condensing combi? The fact there are so many working S/H valves on eBay implies to me they don't fail very often.

Sponsored Links
What you see on ebay bears no relationship with failure rates.

You also imply that are "working gas valves". To that I would ask you how you think the valve was tested?

Furthermore, to change a gas valve you need to be gas registered and few would be very keen to fit a gas valve of unknown origin.

I may be an exception as I would but I would require payment first and would not be giving any warrantee that it would work as I had not supplied it.

Better to put your money in the savings account for the new condensing boilr and save your money and the planet from all the excessive CO2 emissions you are making at the moment with your own boiler.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back