sourcing a gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My elderly father phoned as his boiler gave up.

He had an engineer round who diagnosed a faulty gas valve, but said they were now unobtainable. The boiler IS old (not quite as old as dad!), but I suspect the engineer was keen to get the £5000 he quoted for a new boiler........

If a new boiler IS required, he and I both know to get some other quotes, however I wonder if there are ways to find a replacement valve (either new or 2nd hand)?

It's a Glow Worm Space Saver; 50B Mark II;
4131571 (not sure if that identifies the boiler or the valve)

Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
I sm sure most independents would replace that boiler for a lot less than £2000.

It is probably possible to get a new or used GV for your boiler.

Although some engineers are wary of fitting used ones as there is no warranty at all.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys. I think part of the cost was because Building Regs have changed so lots of new wiring needed, flue etc, but even so, yes, a ridiculous price.

Searched online and found
http://www.heatingreplacementspares...BLY&ptid=118522|GAS+VALVE+&+SOLENOID+ASSEMBLY

costing £216

In case he gets another similar response on monday from another engineer, is that a worthwhile site for him to point the engineer at?

Building regs are not retrospective so if nothing new is being installed (replacement for repair is not classed as new) new regs don't apply. New flue for new boiler excepted.

It is quite an old boiler and would be worth considering getting a replacement at some point in the future, but the gas valve is very readily available - I could get a brand new one for Tuesday no trouble at all (and might even be able to get one for Monday if I was really desperate). Sounds like your gas engineer is short of work and has seen an opportunity to con an old man. Get someone else in

Thanks guys. I think part of the cost was because Building Regs have changed so lots of new wiring needed, flue etc, but even so, yes, a ridiculous price.

Searched online and found
http://www.heatingreplacementspares.co.uk/BoilerParts.aspx?PageNum=1&PageSize=15&searchtype=5&manu=GLOWWORM&manuid=118&app=SPACE+SAVER+50+BF+MKII+BOILER&appid=118522&pt=GAS+VALVE+&+SOLENOID+ASSEMBLY&ptid=118522|GAS+VALVE+&+SOLENOID+ASSEMBLY

costing £216

In case he gets another similar response on monday from another engineer, is that a worthwhile site for him to point the engineer at?

Plumbnation are cheaper...but let the new engineer do his own diagnosis without influencing him as it sounds like the last chap was dodgy. You might not need a new gas valve at all

I sm sure most independents would replace that boiler for a lot less than £2000

How the feckity feck do you know?
TonyCrystal_zpss3ie5ppc.jpg

It is quite an old boiler and would be worth considering getting a replacement at some point in the future, .....
It'll be a toss-up which goes first: dad or the boiler. At that age you can't predict either........

Many thanks for all the contributions.

Stock item with us and fits many other boilers. You should get another gas bod if you want the truth regarding spares for your albeit old and inefficient boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back