Who can give an EIC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi. i have just completed my 2330 Level 3. can i give out an EIC after rewiring a house or do i need the 2391 qualification. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Anyone who is competent to do so can issue an EIC.

Theoretically, you don't need any formal qualifications for that, but it is unlikely that you could ever fully prove your competence without.

However, for the installation to be legal, you will a building compliance certificate too.

This can be otbtained from your local building control office by applying to them BEFORE any work is started. They will then come and inspect the job at various stages to ensure it's compliance with buildings regulations.

You can self certify your work as compliant is you are a member of a self certification scheme such as NICEIC, elecsa, napit etc.

Anything else is illegal.

There is no formal qualification required.
You need the skill of course. The form may be split into three parts and you have design, installation, inspection and testing.
Where you have designed, installed and inspected only your signature can appear on the form. Although some one else could test to inspect you need to see the cables and once the floor boards are replaced and walls plastered this can no longer be done.
So unless you have had someone who has been overseeing the work i.e. a foreman then you must sign the document.

Sponsored Links
I wrote my first reply at same time as RF lighting and south of the boarder there is Part P to be considered as he suggests.

I have found problems in the past where Electricians have assumed the whole job is under the control of the LABC and the owner has failed to inform them of the electrical work. But assuming he has then you as an Electrician have to submit the EIC to the LABC and sometimes they have there own guide lines as to what they will accept.

I think the LABC do have problems with people submitting EIC to them which are pure guess work and they are nervous about accepting your word for things as they are legally responsible for the heath and safety of the site.

So you need to give them no cause for concern. You need to act as if you had never considered there would be any question as to if your qualified enough. And of course the results must pass. When you are testing or reading test results every week you will soon see where 2 + 2 are making 22 instead of 4.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back