Who else thinks...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the car owner should be fined for obstruction and the fine/costs should cover the cost of the contractors having to come back and complete the work?
No excuse. The council put signage up to say the work was going to be done and when. The car even had two tickets on it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Think I know what your talking about. If so yes I agree ‍♀️

Sponsored Links
They resurfaced the road where my workshop is a few weeks ago. Notices were put out. Some people ignored them. A lorry came along, picked them up and set them down in nearby streets. Don’t know why they couldn’t do the same to that one.

Any compensation (applicable) for damage to the car is probaly less than the cost of the contractors returning.

The council should have removed the car. No ifs, no buts
Yes it's common practice in many parts of the country, it's a bit weird that they didn't, there's no damage if done right. I blame the council not the car owner. I suspect the car owner is under no obligation to move their car.

No obligation at all...

But don't worry one of the utility companies will be along shortly to dig up the newly resurfaced road, so the patchwork surface won't be out of place!

Legally it is a very grey area. There are laws concerning obstruction of the highway, but a car parked where someone wants to resurface the highway isn't necessarily causing an obstruction of the highway.

There could be many possible & legitimate reasons why the car wasn't moved, & thinking it was left there for malicious reasons whilst the owner watched from a distance probably reflects more on you for thinking that than it does on the owner of the car for not moving it.

Why is this car blocking a road resurfacing news? Why is it on the BBC?

the car owner should be fined for obstruction and the fine/costs should cover the cost of the contractors having to come back and complete the work?

Yes, unless the owner can come up with a very convincing excuse.

The council have many options, apart from removing the car which would cost peanuts compared to contractors returning, they could use their skills in obtaining register keeper's details when issuing tickets and go knock at their door.
I know a lot of people who use their car a couple of times a month, so they won't be necessary aware of temporary restrictions where they parked.

Sponsored Links
Back