The country might be mad.

.. I am reasonably certain that they would have wanted to be known for their other achievements rather than their sexuality.
My apologies if I offended anyone with my comment above.
One's sexuality is not, of course, an achievement. It is a quality or characteristic of a person. I did not intend to imply that one's sexuality is an achievement. Any implication is purely accidental.
I should have said, "I am reasonably certain that they would have wanted to be known for their achievements rather than their qualities or characteristics, such as their sexuality.

Sponsored Links
I can fully understand why a "gender-nonconforming" attitude and behaviour might be a cause for celebration,

Those that are complaining cant appreciate why gender non conforming should be celebrated.

Reason: because the term can apply to literally anyone.

Anne Lister was known as the first modern lesbian, which is the term those complaining want.

Are you saying the plaque should represent Anne Listers wishes of how she should be celebrated rather than those who are complaining.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying the plaque should represent Anne Listers wishes of how she should be celebrated rather than those who are complaining.
Isn't the plaque to celebrate the fact that she had a mock wedding to her partner, Ann Walker, in that church.
I think it can safely be deduced from that alone that she was a lesbian. Whether she wore a man's suit is totally irrelevant.

Reference to anything else is surely down to the particular views of the contributors to its design and wording.

Since posting this I have learned that there appears to be a certain animosity between the different factions of the so-called "LGBTQQXYZ community" such that they are not a community.
It seems they don't get along and want certain words reserved and only used for particular groups.

True.

This is what it shouldve said:

Anne, with an e, married Ann without an e, without legal recognition.

Anyone been or lives near Hebden Bridge? Well it's a lesbian hotspot. It's a lovely market town and wonderful in the autumn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16962898

Me :LOL::LOL:(y) I've never heard it called the lesbian capital but agree the people there do seem very artsy and craftsy.

We went a few weeks ago, had a walk along the canal, some lunch and the kids made and painted some pottery. It's a nice place.

Last edited:
Since posting this I have learned that there appears to be a certain animosity between the different factions of the so-called "LGBTQQXYZ community" such that they are not a community.
That is true of all communities: Jewish, Irish, ex-pat, plumbers, etc.

Sponsored Links
Back