Who is responsible for identifying slanted wall ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,
I just had a sunroom extension built onto back of my house but it turns out the existing house wall is slightly slanted to right.The extension (Timber frame and brick outer skin) is obviously built dead straight and is finished in brick was supposed to be flush with the existingwall. It is actually jutting out about 6 inches to left due to this oversight. Building control will not issue a completion certificate as both old and new walls should have been tied in. Who is responsible for spotting this ?? Should the architect have identified this on initial inspection or would it be down to the joiner who built the frame ? : ?:

Sponsored Links
6"! ffs.

ALL of you should have spotted it!!

why in gods name was this not accounted for and remedied.

there are ways of dealing with an out-of-upright connection. it ain't rocket science.

I totally agree it should have been spotted quite quickly. It was actually me that noticed it as soon as the joiner had built the frame despite the fact there had been joiners and builders there all day. I noticed that at the bottom it looked fine but that about 6 feet up the frame was coming near end of wall. Its about 11ft high so the higher the brickie went the more pronounced it jutted out. Who is most responsible for this oversight ? I paid £750 to the architect for these 4m x 4m drawings and would like to try and reclaim some of this back if its his oversight. If its not his fault then who do you reckon should really have checked this ?

It's not really the architect's fault, it's not unreasonable to assume that walls have been built plumb - unless it's an old place, of course. But it beggars belief that no one working on site noticed it until much later.

Sponsored Links
The whole job was done by same company,the joiners the builders and the architect. If it was your company who would you expect to have picked this up ?? Im assuming there will be a remedy but at the end of the day Im left with a building with a jutted out wall.
In my view If they had noticed earlier and started to build further to the inside this would have been avoided as the extension doesnt go all the way to other end of house. I would like to get something knocked off final price. What argument should I present to give me best chance ??

The builder will say it's your fault for having a slanting house. He was contracted to build a straight extension. He'll blame you.

Kinell! I never heard of 6" out of plumb....
I've been pulled for 6mm over 40ft, but 6" over 11 ft,
Oh I know, this is a **** take isn't it?

I wish it was a wind up but unfortunately its true. The brickie didnt start flush will the wall either which made it look more prononuced the higher he went up. Im not sure why he did this perhaps he thought it would disguise it a bit however it didnt. The building control have now said that if they ammend drawings to show that new wall has been tied to extension frame work which in turn is fixed to the house then it will get passed. Any way if you were in this position how would you best argue to get a discount ?? Surely the Architect joiner or builder should have noticed earlier and worked out how to build to avoid this building jutting out. All advice is very welcome :!:

Hi, gcg,
I would suggest that your main aim should be to get it taken down and put right. It's clearly not sound to build 6" (yes folks that's SIX INCHES)
out of plumb, someone should have consulted with you when it was first noticed. The bricky, if he was employed by whoever is in law a servant of that company so is deemed to have worked under their instruction.
I would try to get some amicable agreement before using the 'L' word (litigation) don't use the withholding of further payments as a bargaining card, but obviously don't part with any further payments until it is sorted.

Hi ,
The extension is actually very well built and looks great but it is sitting 6 inch proud of existing wall at topmost point. I am happy to live with it now that building control have advised they will pass it providing these drawings are amended to show ties as detailed above. There is the option of putting the guttering drainpipe in front of the jut to hide it somewhat. It just seems such an avoidable flaw and Im kind of shocked that it took me to spot it. Obviously the existing house wall is at fault but at which point should this have been picked up and how should I put my case forward for a discount ??

Hi, I'm afraid my view is that either you are satisfied, or you want it changed.
Saying you will live with it etc isn't really a good enough reason to start asking for a discount, and if it's been passed by building control then thats it isn't it?
you must have put in place the finance for the job and agreed the price at the beginning.
If on the other hand the builder starts asking for extras then you can smile and shake your head. Consider this, that most jobs over run on cost, often due to unforseen circumstances, but also due to the client changing details or adding extras.
So just to get the job finished and on time and within budget is something of a rarety.
This is of course just my personal view.

I understand what you are saying but at the end of the day I am left with a building that isnt exactly what was agreed. It was also supposed to be completed first week in March. It is only a two week job not a major project therefore 12 weeks out is quite a delay. This was mainly due to architect who continually failed to send in revised drawings to planning. I have more of a gripe with him to be honest and just feel he should also have recognised this wall fault at the outset. I genuinely never usually complain but in this instance it just all seems so avoidable. If you were to apportion blame for this who out of the squad ...builders joiners or achitect is the most likely candidate ??

That will depend on who was managing the project.
If you instructed the architect who then recommended or hired the builder then it is he.
If you hired the architect just to supply drawings and you employed the builder then you need to find out if the bricky pointed out the problem to the builder and why you or the architect were not informed.
However, all in all we rarely get exactly what we want in this life and as the building has been passed ~~ (shrugs shoulders)
When I was building back additions and the like, I used to get a verbal agreement with the owner that if there were a dispute we could not agree on then the Building inspector would be the final arbiter, meaning if it was considered by him to be ok then that was it.
I can understand your discontent with a building that if it were free standing would be condemmed, but there are mitigating circumstances aren't there?

Hi Chesspy, The I take pride in my work and if I made poor judgements In my workplace I would no doubt have to face the consequencies. Its about taking ownership and being accountable. On this occasion these guys have let both me and themselves down. I certainly dont think im being unreasonable to request a discount.They all work for the same company so I guess they could argue amongst themselves who is at fault. If you were the judge who would you find most liable ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back