Who needs an education?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instiute for Fiscal Studies

Between 2010 and 2019, total UK spending on education fell by £10bn (8%) in real terms.

This includes a 9% real-terms fall in school spending per pupil and a 14% fall in spending per student in colleges. These cuts are without precedent in post-war UK history.

https://twitter.com/TheIFS/status/1465607931798466560

The £4.4 billion for the schools budget in 2024 announced in the Spending Review will bring spending per pupil back to 2010 levels and reverse past cuts. But this means there will have been 15 years with no overall growth in school spending.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1465607931798466560.html

Sponsored Links
Better than a kick in the ballcocks. There isn't an unlimited pot of money to spend from.

Sponsored Links
Sorry. Was you applauding the government or moaning about them?

What defence is there of cutting education spending? There is no point harking on about knowledge economy and then cutting school funding.

But where do you stop - Cancer treatment? The disabled? Domestic violence? The NHS? What defence is there for cutting any of those? Everyone has their own thing that they are more concerned about than others and they just can't all be fully funded. As I said, better than a kick in the ballcocks.

But where do you stop - Cancer treatment? The disabled? Domestic violence? The NHS? What defence is there for cutting any of those? Everyone has their own thing that they are more concerned about than others and they just can't all be fully funded. As I said, better than a kick in the ballcocks.

That is not a defence. There was no need for the level and type of austerity - when it was based on a lie - we have run out of money and there is no magic money tree - now enter exhibit A - pandemic response.

Better than a kick in the ballcocks. There isn't an unlimited pot of money to spend from.

Deprived schools have seen larger cuts over the last decade.

The most deprived fifth of secondary schools saw a 14% real-terms fall in spending per pupil between 2009 and 2019, compared with a 9% drop for the least deprived schools.

Explain how that is levelling up?

I'm not arguing with you but what vital service would you like to see cut to fully fund this?

I'm not arguing with you but what vital service would you like to see cut to fully fund this?

There you go with the fallacy that its a zero sum game and something has to be cut for something else. You are falling into the trap that Government spending is the same as personal spending so a £ spent on drinks means less on clothes.

I don't have issue with Government re-assessing spending in light of new data, but making cuts because they have no money is the weakest of excuses - it's just ideological.

mottie is about to try the "magic money tree" tory argument used by economic illiterates to avoid investing in the country and its future

discarded as the rubbish it is when an election looms.

There you go with the fallacy that its a zero sum game and something has to be cut for something else. You are falling into the trap that Government spending is the same as personal spending so a £ spent on drinks means less on clothes.

I don't have issue with Government re-assessing spending in light of new data, but making cuts because they have no money is the weakest of excuses - it's just ideological.
Perhaps you should start a thread for each and every other vital service then. Why stop at education?

Perhaps you should start a thread for each and every other vital service then. Why stop at education?

If you want to start a thread extolling subsidised allotments for over 60's, feel free to start.

This is the Education thread.

Raise taxes. Hammer multi billion turnovers like amazon, google and facebook. Claw back covid handouts for those who clearly didn't need them, claw back funds paid to PPE companies who didn't deliver.

Raise taxes. Hammer multi billion turnovers like amazon, google and facebook. Claw back covid handouts for those who clearly didn't need them, claw back funds paid to PPE companies who didn't deliver.
Are Amazon, Google and Facebook vital government services then?

Sponsored Links
Back