Who wants to be a millionaire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the Chris tarrant prog , I think it`s brill.
But , quite a while ago now, one question riled me.

The offending question was

"What is the name of the line that seperates a circle into two equal halves?"

I even emailled them with the correct answer because I believe they got it wrong.

Opinions please.

Sponsored Links
first thought is diameter, but since you are asking i assume that is not correct :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Diameter, good answer, the one they were looking for but I say that is incorrect

If you're thinking chord, then yes, the diameter is the largest chord possible in a circle but it's still the diameter.

I love yer babe,
Yes my thinking was,
the name of any line which intersects a circle in two places is a chord.
The length of the particular line in the question is a diameter.
They asked for the name of that line (Chord) not the length of it (Diameter) so the correct answer is chord.
Very quick answer backing me up.

Whilst you`re on a roll then name the captain of Englands last world cup football winners

If you were asked that question in a geometry exam then both answers would be correct - it'll be interesting to see what they say.

If they bother to reply of course... :rolleyes:

The diameter of a circle is the length of a line segment whose endpoints lie on the circle and which passes through the centre of the circle. This is the largest distance between any two points on the circle. The diameter of a circle is twice its radius.

The term " radius" can also refer to a line segment from the centre of a circle to its perimeter, and similarly the term "diameter" can refer to a line segment between two points on the perimeter which passes through the centre. In this sense, the midpoint of a diameter is the centre and so it is composed of two radii.

A chord of a circle is a line segment whose two endpoints lie on the circle. The diameter, passing through the circle's centre, is the largest chord in a circle. A tangent to a circle is a straight line that touches the circle at a single point. A secant is an extended chord: a straight line cutting the circle at two points.

An arc of a circle is any connected part of the circle's circumference. A sector is a region bounded by two radii and an arc lying between the radii, and a segment is a region bounded by a chord and an arc lying between the chord's endpoints.

If you were asked that question in a geometry exam then both answers would be correct - it'll be interesting to see what they say.

If they bother to reply of course... :rolleyes:

the diameter is a chord, but to disect a circle in to two equal parts requires the largest chord which is called the diameter.

Sponsored Links
Back