Whose fault? Crack in new shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a bathroom refurbishment, the builders installed a large walk in shower tray made out of stone resin. Days after the installation, I discovered a small crack at the side of the tray, and bought this to the attention of the installer. He was dismissive and said it was a manufacturing fault, insisting he had installed it correctly - batons supporting 18mm ply, and silicone under the base.

Here's the crack:

crack-01.jpg

crack-02.jpg

I contacted the company I bought it from, and they said it had been installed incorrectly, saying the area underneath the gap is unsupported, and is therefore deemed to have been fitted incorrectly.

They sent this image to me:

crack-03.jpg

It shows the area they're referring to as the grout line. Can someone tell me what the builders have done wrong here, and how it should actually be installed? Should the ply be supporting right to the very edge of the tray?

Also, how risky would it be to leave the crack (as the builders suggest). Is it likely to spread?
Your views would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It does look unsupported to me so I’d say it’s the installers fault. Not ideal, but can it be wedged up to close the crack and then grouted?

I just love how you have a nice slim, low level, easy access tray - 5" higher than the floor!

FFS!

What does a 1200mm spirit level say across the top edge above the crack? I'm guessing a lot of weight to the left of the crack (where the screen is) plus poor support on the screen side or better support on the right. Does it flex when people are in it?

Either way, it takes a lot of effort to do it that badly. Shoot the builder.

Last edited:
I just love how you have a nice slim, low level, easy access tray - 5" higher than the floor!

Yes, not ideal! There was an issue with the location of the communal waste pipe I think, which forced this.

What does a 1200mm spirit level say across the top edge above the crack?

It shows a slight drop from the left side to the crack - about 0.5-1mm

Does it flex when people are in it?

No, it seems to be quite solid.

The company I bought the tray from have offered a replacement as a gesture of goodwill. Should I insist that the tray is replaced?

Or do I let it go, and hope it doesn't get worse...?

Sponsored Links
The company I bought the tray from have offered a replacement as a gesture of goodwill. Should I insist that the tray is replaced?

Accept the offer and find a qualified installer. The supplier might be able ( and prepared ) to recommend an installer.

A crack like that is likely to grow over time. A stop hole might prevent the crack extending. Information click HERE

You're joking - that will crack right across the tray in no time. You want the tray, and the base replaced.

I suspect that the tray could have gone lower, but it would be a bit too much work for your shower builder .... or shower of builders more like.

Accept the offer and find a qualified installer. A crack like that is likely to grow over time

You're joking - that will crack right across the tray in no time. You want the tray, and the base replaced

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'll do that. I'm not sure I want to risk these guys doing the refit, even if it does mean having to pay out some more

Battens and 18mm ply sounds a bit flimsy for a resin tray, is that the suppliers spec? Def replace it- only benefit of that shoddy install is replacement won't be too damaging & will give you the chance to sort the base properly.

18mm should be OK, but not on its own - it needs support timbers below it - around the edge and 300-400mm spacing. And check if the tray needs be bedded on a solid mortar bed too.

If you are not using the original fitters, you can still require them to pay the costs of renewal and associated works. Although strictly, you should give the original fitters the oportunity to rectify the works or refuse to rectify.

Ask the supplier of the tray if they supply a riser kit for the tray you have. If they do I would be interested to know how, or if, the riser kit supports the peripheral edge of the tray.
I have lost count of the number of stone resin shower trays ,amongst others ,that I have fitted over the years ,plenty of them had to be elevated in order to achieve the necessary fall on waste pipework ,or to avoid cutting holes greater than 1 1/2 diameter thru joists ( which would contravene building regulations ) to accommodate the waste pipework. Riser kits are widely used to raise trays ,and I have never seen any that support the peripheral edges of a stone resin tray.
Without knowing exactly what is below your tray ,in the way of supporting timbers , I wouldn't wish to pass comment as to the strength or suitability of what lays beneath . You will need to replace the tray for certain though.

Riser kits are widely used to raise trays ,and I have never seen any that support the peripheral edges of a stone resin tray.

That's what I was thinking. So assuming the fitters made a solid base with supporting timbers, as they say they have. Can I really say it was their mistake? When a new one's put down, I'll use a riser kit, just to be safe. But as you say, it may be even less well supported. All we be revealed when this one comes up though...

My point is , IF they supply a riser kit for that tray ,and it does not support the peripheral edges ,then their contention that yours has cracked because the edge is not supported is nonsensical .

They do indeed supply one specifically for this tray:

Screenshot-2019-01-03-at-19.10.03.png

Similar to many others I have used. Several fairly thin plastic legs ,with adhesive pads that stick to the tray and plastic discs around six inch diameter that the legs screw to. And absolutely nothing that supports the edges.
Beside the cracked tray ,are there any other issues with the quality of the workmanship ? Your pics show what appears to me to be a quite neatly tiled and nice looking shower area.
Previous contributors have described the work as shoddy , that the builder should be shot ,and should pay for someone else to rip it out and do it " properly ". Maybe one of them can point out what I have missed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back