WHS L/H brick trowels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To any Brickies out there. I'm looking to buy a bricklaying trowel, I noticed WHS do a left handed trowel, and being a cack hander myself I wondered if the L/H R/H thing was important. Even tho I haven't done much in the way of laying bricks so far, I do intend learning and I don't see much point in buying a cheap trowel, as I would like the one I buy to last me a lifetime. Thanks

Sponsored Links
The WHS trowels are hardened on the left or right to allow rough brick cutting. The left-handed ones should have LH stamped on them.

I use a Marshall Town trowel, as the WHS trowels weigh a ton.

I rarely cut a brick with the trowel, except for perhaps a little trim, but the thinner Marshall Town steel is good for a quick chop, so I can't see why you would need a specifically hardened cutting edge.

IMO, cutting with the trowel belongs to the days of mass brick walls and Victorian times where there were cuts and closers everywhere and softer bricks.

Nowadays there are few cuts in a wall and its no great time loser to pick up the brick hammer or hammer and bolster. Neater too

Thanks for the infomation woody. I guess I'll have to pick them up and try them out and see which one feels good. And then there's the shape and size to consider.
At least I dont have to worry about the toughened edge now. Cheers

agree with woody, marshaltown are a lot lighter and the steel is absolute quality. the largest m.t. trowel still feels ok even with a full load of muck. ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back